SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oofasis

Experience with DW dish drawers?

oofasis
14 years ago

When we rennovated a year and a half ago I chose Kitchen Aid dish drawers (ours is the last model to actually be made by Fisher Paykel for KA). After about a year we began having problems. Since it's just the two of us at home, we mostly used the top drawer (and I LOVE the ergonomics of it). We noticed that, after completing a wash cycle in the top drawer, the bottom drawer eventually began collecting water in it, a tiny bit at a time. The rinse cycle got rid of the water, but the problems began multiplying recently. I'm just grateful that we have a two-year warranty on the darned thing. The repairman has been out 5 times, one time spending 6 hours taking the entire set-up apart twice and still not being able to "fix" it. This past week the repairman came out for a final assessment, telling us he would recommend to Kitchen Aid that the machine was unfixable. Duh.

Anyway, if KA is willing to replace the machine, I'm now wondering if we're just in for more of the same with the dish drawers in the future. It's very convenient to use the top drawer only, doing a load every day or two. We probably wouldn't fill a traditional DW for 3 or 4 days = much less convenient and lots of bending.

Have any of you had problems with dish drawers? Or any of you who've had them problem-free? Can I get any yays or nays to stay with DDs or insist that KA replace them with a traditional DW? Thanks for your input.

Comments (11)