SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blackeyedpeas

Contemporary,traditional,country,modern? What do you say?

blackeyedpeas
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have been away for quite a while, we finally moved in the new house right before Easter and we have been so busy trying to get settled, finishing up small things and getting 15 years worth of stuff out of the old house, barn and shop. Dang, I NEVER want to move again, what a PIA that has been.

I wanted to share the one side of the kitchen that is finally done, it took forever to pick out the backsplash and then another forever to drum up the courage to tackle it since I had never done something like that before(DH was the official tile layer for the floors, I grouted but it was a much different situation) I still have to finish doing the backsplash on the peninsula wall, I am so putting it off, it's not something I like doing at all....

So here we go, my mishmash of styles makes my kitchen have multiple personalities which fortunately for me makes me pretty happy. Tells you a lot about me huh?

Soapstone counters, pardon the splotchyness, I oiled them in the morning and then washed away the oil to the left of the dishwasher, should have done the rest of the counters but alas life got in the way and I took the pictures anyway...

I love, love, love my Blancomagnum sink, in this picture there is 4 people's dinner worth of dirty plates, cups and cookware and you can't see them, yippee. The Kitchenaid dishwasher is turning out to be a very wise investment, cleans great.

View towards the laundry room, please ignore the horrible chairs in the right side of the pic, we are going to put in an island but for now have our very old dining set in there. Another thing I'm loving is the travertine floors, they are so easy to keep clean. You may also notice the ends of the cabinets. To keep a very long story short our cabinet man quit us for some reason, all he lacked was the end caps, hardware and toekicks. There was no way we would ever be able to match the stain so after much deliberation we decided to cover the ends with beadboard and painted them and the toekicks the same color as the soapstone. A creative solution with an interesting look? Not sure but I can live with it...

Here's a good view of the twins, our Whirlpool sidekicks. I had DH build a cabinet under them to raise them up so they wouldn't look so squatty. Another fabulous decision, we have tons of extra storage and I don't have to bend over to see what's in the back of the fridge or freezer.

And finally my towel chicken, as much as I loved the pig I fell in love with her when I saw her :o)

Comments (15)