SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

What do you mean when you say it'll last...

plllog
9 years ago

We've long talked about the longevity of SubZero fridges and people also talk about stand alone fridges that last forever. I realized that we need some definitions.

For me, my 1986 Kenmore is probably still cooling. A workman took it away. The light was irreparably broken after six years, the crispers were worse than useless, the shelf that held them started failing after about 10 years, it was a delicate balancing act to keep the milk cold enough but the lettuce from freezing, and in the last year or two I had it (until five years ago), it was getting more crotchety. And the ice (in trays) smelled bad.

My parents' 1985 SubZero is like new, except the lightbulb needs changing. Food never freezes in the fridge section. Things don't melt in the freezer. The ice evaporates because the folks don't use it a lot and forget to throw it out, but it doesn't smell. I think the ice maker was serviced once.

I'm sure there are plenty of ordinary fridges out there that are also plugging away without issue. I just wanted to set straight what *I* mean when I talk about the longevity expected of SubZero. :) And I thought others might want to join in.

Comments (7)