SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fransmom

unevenness on the exterior wood beams - how to repair?

fransmom
18 years ago

I'm having the exterior of my house painted. The house has wood siding and beams. Today the painter told me that he has finished the preperation and asked for the next payment to buy paints so he can start painting next Tuesday. But when I looked at the beams, I found the unevenness shown in the following pictures. If the finished job would look like this, I will not be satisfied. The whole point of repainting the house is to repair the chirping and cracking on the beams. The painter said he has done all he can to scrape off the peeling paint to wood and prime the wood, and the old paints that won't come off by scraping should remain, thus the unevenness. He seems to think that there's nothing he can do. He dismissed my inquire about stripping the old paints. So what gives?

What can be done to make these beam nearly smooth if not entirely smooth?

Should the painter be expected to make the beams smooth on a standard paint job? Should I be expected to pay premium to get the smooth look? (For reference, the painter is not the highest bidder on the job. His bid was the mid range, not the lowest, nor the highest).

Thanks!

Comments (3)