SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

Bedding questions

funkyart
15 years ago

I have been slow to select new bedding as I have already made an expensive mischoice.. but the bedding choice is holding up the selection of paint and rugs so I am hoping to tap into the great design sense here for ideas.

I am looking for a comfortable, soothing look with a touch luxury. I have been looking at bedding that has some brown or black in it because I think the finish I selected for the bed has the tendency to look like a young girl's bed. I am thinking the brown/black will give it more of a grown up look. Also, I have been leaning towards a somewhat monochromatic color scheme so my thought was that the brown or black would help to showcase the bed in a sea of blue-green.

Bed:

For months now, I keep returning to the Court of Versaille Lyon set. It is a little fancier than I care for but I am thinking I could get a more casual look by pairing select the duvet cover and shams with white sheeting and bedskirt. I think I NEED the silk quilt too. :) My only hesitation with ordering this is that while the color looks perfect in the horchow photo, the macy's photo looks much more blue. Does anyone have this set? Is it a blue-green or more blue?

I have also looked at brown toiles but none really "grab" me. I think I definitely need some color.

Do you think the Lyon bedding will help showcase the bed? Would you go another direction? Since I am starting totally from scratch, I can go basically any direction. It is an enviable and intimidating position to be in!

Please share your thoughts-- on bedding, paint color or anything else. My only requirement is that I want only natural fibers.. and I am avoiding all white or ivory bedding (though I think it would be lovely).

Here is a link that might be useful: Court of Versaille Lyon duvet cover

Comments (51)

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Jane.. I do check TJ Maxx pretty often and most of my quilts have come from there. My local TJ just doesn't get the really nice brands that I used to see when I lived in the Phila area. It might be worth a trip though .. as the stores closer to Phila have much better brands of shoes, bags, clothes AND bedding.

I am also open to making a duvet cover but I haven't found a fabric that wows me as yet.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I do like this fabric.. but I thought it might be too feminine since the bed is already so girly girly and my furniture is pretty feminine also.

What do you think?

• Related Discussions

Quick bedding question

Q

Comments (4)
    My comforter covers have ties on the insides to tie the corners of the comforters in. They'd be easy to add with a few tacked stitches and ribbon/twill tape if your cover does not have them.
    ...See More

Bedding question

Q

Comments (3)
    We see two main kinds of boxes anymore. Wood foundations. These have almost no give and work fine but can get noisy if the exact right wood, nails and a good frame are not used. Semi Flex steel boxes. These have an oh so tiny amount of give and are less prone to making noise. I find them usually more difficult for jumping kids to outright break as well. Usually the feel difference is minimal...maybe I am not perceptive. Maybe your old boxes are going bad (thing soft in one or all spots). I would be curious if you pull the mattress off how much give your boxes have. Regardless though, as long as you are sleeping well it matters not a lot.
    ...See More

Cream vs. white bedding. Questions.

Q

Comments (21)
    Mtn - I'll definitely stay away from dry clean items. No food or drink in the room. We do have cats but they aren't on the bed these days. I didn't even realize the item had to be all cotton to use bleach. I never gave it any thought. Hmorton - I totally forgot about the laundry forum. I'll check there too, thanks! Christy - Good idea. Boop - Oh, I'm not sure. I'm still brainstorming. I think I'm going to use the buffalo check in my one bathroom. I ordered two other samples (one of a larger check) in the same wheat/cream color to see. Zippity - Thanks for the cleaning feedback! Tina - The red coverlet I have on our bed now is 100% cotton but it's nice and oversized. Size was something I was concerned about for the next purchase. I thought I wanted all cotton again but is it common to have issues with covers being too short on the sides and bottom? Sounds like white and/or cream bedding isn't a big deal to care for. I'm still trying to decide how much I want to budget for it since it's going to be somewhat experimental for me. I do know I want a THICK AND FLUFFY duvet. I read recently about the need to punch and fluffy them up. Really? Please tell me they make ones that I don't need the assistance on a regular basis? It's just one more thing. Thank you everyone for your feedback and thoughts!
    ...See More

Bedding Question

Q

Comments (6)
    I put them through the shredder and the carton boxes I used to line the sides of the bin, doubled or tripled. Once they started to break down, it was easy to rip them to strips. Replace with dry pieces. Be careful when ripping the liners because worms could be found between the layers.
    ...See More
  • babs711
    15 years ago

The bedding looks fairly blue on my monitor. I think the pattern of that bedding will take away from your lovely bed.

Your bed is very shabby-chic. I see a fluffy white comforter with it. I love that bed and would love to see you show it off! It seems like a patterned comforter with take away from it. Or what about more of a solid soft green with a hint of blue and then you can accent it with patterned pillows?

Or even something like this with a softer pattern (but use taupe, white or eucalyptus pillows/quilt instead of blue):

Restoration Hardware Italian Cypress Paisley:

Restoration Hardware has lovely luxurious bedding in some very soft colors. The Eucalyptus, Celery, Silver Sage and Flax might work with the bed. The Italian Banded Sateen was pretty and they have some lovely solids as well. Some is on sale right now.

You may want to check Steinmart also.

• User
    15 years ago

ohhh i really, really like that Court of Versaille Lyon set. If you don't get that ...something similar would look great! It looks blue on my monitor as well.
    I really like the bed also.

• babs711
    15 years ago

We must have posted at the same time! LOL! I'm a firm believer in getting what you like. If you like a certain type of bedding, then get it! Don't just get something with brown or black in it because you feel like you should! I think you have a sense of what you want to do but you're scared to do it because you don't want to do it b/c you think you're room will look like a little girls' room. You can do other things in the room (and with the pillows, etc.) to deal with that. Nothing about that bedding screams "little girl" to me. You want a room that will make you happy, so get what you want. Otherwise, you'll end up with a room that just makes you feel lukewarm and that you don't truly LOVE.

• parma42
    15 years ago

I'm assuming the picture of your new bed (which is gorgeous btw) is the footboard pushed up to the headboard.

I think that when you have your bedding in place, whatever you choose, it won't look so girly...just classic. I don't mind the idea of a toile or another pattern because you can keep the rest of the room simple (silk drapes a shade or two off of the wall color) and a pattern would actually de-emphasize? (play down, lol) the bed if that's the expensive mistake you are referring to.

If you keep going back to the bedding on Horchow, why don't you just email them and ask for a clarification on the color. I do that all the time. If you get it and don't like it...send it back.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love the RH paisley-- it was one of the first I saw but the duvet is only available in twin. That is one of my big frustrations with RH-- whenever I fall in love with one of their bedding sets, I cant' put together a complete bed.

The bed definitely looks better with blues than greens-- it is an odd color. I like the touch of browns in the garden toile and the lyon bedding because my furniture and the floor all have an orange-honey cast. It seems to bring everything together. I really should take a picture of the room but egads, it is such a mess.

I'll post pictures this evening so you can get a better feel for what I am working with .. because yes, that was the footboard and headboard leaning against each other.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts-- it helps sooo much!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hahaha I just read your post again, Parma.. and the bed is not the expensive mistake I was referring to-- but it made me laugh because, in truth, it was a very expensive mistake. I do like it very much-- but I don't love it nearly as much as I loved it when I wrote the check. I am hoping that part of that is the fact there there is still very old and ugly wallpaper on the walls and that my current bedding (the mistake) is not the right color or pattern. I also selected it to go with a very rustic chest.. unfortunately the chest wouldn't make the turn on the staircase so my whole vision is changed.

My camera battery is charging-- I'll share pics when it is juiced up.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I am embarrassed to share these as my room is a disaster area.. I have done nothing in this room since I moved in. I guess if it was all done and beautiful then I'd be here asking for pats on the back instead of help haha.. I need help. :)

Bed with high boy dresser (bedding, curtains are all temporary)

Close up of bed finish

This is the low boy dresser

What bedding would you use? What wall color?

Would you just spray paint the bed??

Will a long bed skirt make it look less like a crib?

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

I love that ice blue fabric (with the design on it) you picked out. Do you happen to know the name of it? If the fabric does have a name that is. I would love to do something with that fabric on my twin beds. They are antique french pine beds and with a ticking bedshirt and that ice blue fabric I think it would look smashing.

I love your iron bed, it is so pretty. I have an old iron bed too but it isn't as pretty as yours.

I have got to get someone to show me how to upload pictures on her. I need on the job training. lol

I agree with the lady a few comments ago. Don't get black or tan just to keep from looking like a little girl. The choices you have made are beautiful. But the ice blue fabric is my favorite, but that's me.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Dawn.. I am really hoping that I can pull the room together so that I love the bed.

I think you are asking about "garden toile".. it would look wonderful on antique french pine. I saved it from the Zarin's site.. but I bet you can find a better price with a little digging.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden toile

• texashottie
    15 years ago

FA, I like your iron bed and I do not think it's girly. It is so pretty and the color so soothing that I would want to play it up.

My first thoughts were to layer on the whites on that bed. White sheets, white duvet with a white ruffle folded at the feet. Layer a couple white pillows and then the florals you already have----but then you don't want whites! Hmm. Is it 'cause the dog?

I'm not crazy about patterns with that bed frame. I think the colors take away from it and also the pattern is too busy when your frame has a lot going on with it too.

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

Thanks Funtyard, that fabric is gorgeous. You should put a picture of the finished product on line when you complete your room.

I do have a picture of one of my bedrooms in Home Galleries under My favorite room. It is the sixth picture, but it is not any of the ones I spoke of earler. It is kind of messy. lol It is the one with the cream bedding and bed curtains. I am tired of that too.

....Jane

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, avoiding whites because of the dogs. The one in the picture sheds a lot but his hair is mostly white by now (he is +/- 15) but the other is black. They can't get on the bed if I remove the stairs.. but Beau is sooo old and Grace has cancer... I just feel like I need to keep them close when I can.

I see what you mean about the patterns. The ones i have now definitely do NOT work.. I guess I was hoping that if I stuck with a subtle pattern in the same color range that I'd be ok... but I think you are right about a white or ivory... maybe with a colored quilt.

So what color would you use on the walls? rug? I CANNOT do a white rug hahah.. that's where I draw the line!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jane, I don't think I know where to look for your room photo... but I am sure it's lovely. I like to change my bedding often too so I understand that you are bored with it.

I will definitely share pics when I am done with the room.. but this is the room that will take the most to "finish". I don't even have a plan for furniture arrangement.

Thanks again for your encouragement.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have a business meeting near the PB outlet this morning.. I am going to look for the set below. I am still concerned about an all white set but I am willing to give it a try at these prices.

Do you think the pattern is too much and too linear with the lines of the bed?

What about wall color? Would you do something in the pale blue green family? A darker turquoise? A pale yellow?

Here is a link that might be useful: PB Candlewick Duvet Cover

• jynxed23
    15 years ago

Did you know that this bedding frequently comes up on ebay for about 75%-90% less than what horchow wants? Just do a search for "court versailles lyon" and you should be able to collect most of the pieces within a month or so. I have seen it frequently. Currently, only shams are listed but the price is so much lower.

• User
    15 years ago

eeeek white! pretty but would be scary in my house.

• cearab
    15 years ago

I love your bed!!!
    Did you try Tuesday Morning? They sometimes have very wonderful bedding. You mentioned being in the Philly area. Having been to most of the Marshalls and TJ Maxx in the Philly area, :-)) the TJ in St. Davids and the Marshalls/HomeGoods in Moorestown are likely the best in the area.
    My sister has gotten great bedding on ebay and at HomeGoods. And the PB outlet you refer to: is that the one just off of 95 in Maryland? Curious to know as I was thinking about taking a ride down there one of these days. If you are going down that way, it might be worth a side trip to the Schumacher outlet in Newark, DE. They also sell bedding and do custom work as well.

• parma42
    15 years ago

OK, looking at your beautiful antique furniture, forget just about everything I said before (Horchow, silk, etc).

I think that the set you had your eye on is much too formal for your furnishings.

You really present a challenge, lol. I can sure see why you don't want white with the dogs.

This Pottery Barn comforter, paired with white sheets and a white bed skirt, would give the room the blue you were looking for, with a design that would still work with your furniture.

Your browns are a good idea, also. Maybe something with a more subtle diamond pattern and blue on the pillows.

No use to talk about paint and window treatments until the bedding is in place, assuming that's the order you are going in.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cearab - I have had great luck at the TJ Maxx in Devon. I had forgotten about the one in St Davids! They are all close. I used to live in DE .. but I am in central PA now. I have to tell you-- the PB outlet in Lancaster had a LOT of deals today. I didn't know there was one in MD-- did it open in the perryville outlets? (I think that is what they are called).

Shesharee - I looked at both white and ivory today-- and they made my stomach fill with knots. I just know white/ivory isn't a good idea for me.

Parma - yes, I agree that the horchow silk was very formal for my room (and my style) but I was hoping to cas it up with white sheets and such. I DO love silk-- and velvet all all things luxurious--but I like them in a casual easy almost sundance style way. The chest that was to go into the room is very rustic and my bedding would have gone a very different way.

Funny you chose that bedding from PB. I have admired it for a long time.. but I feared the pattern is too big for the room (and for me). I wish I could see it in person-- but the closest PB other than the outlet is 2 hr away. How is the PB quality? I have a few of their quilts but no sheeting or duvet covers. Are they very silky comfy?

I think I may just order it and check it out--

Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas everyone.. and Parma, thanks for shopping around for me!

• paint_chips
    15 years ago

Funky, have you seen this one? It looks like it would go well with your iron bed. I thought it is neat because of the way the finials on the posts and the damask pattern go together.

Anyway, it is from Lamps Plus, can you believe it? They are offering SO much more than lamps lately.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Bedding

• texashottie
    15 years ago

Hmm. I came back to your post earlier today and then thought about this for awhile. So I'm back now. :)

The question I have is--what "look" are you going for?

I mean, when I look at your room now, I see Shabby Chic--a look I'm quite fond of. The bedding that you are picking out online doesn't quite fit that mold. Neither do the "luxury" fabrics---silk and velvet---convey that feel. When you say "casual" and "sundance" then I feel the Shabby Chic coming through again. I'm wondering if you are so caught up in finding the *perfect* color match that you're forgetting the style that you are trying to convey?

From this point out, what I have to say is me assuming you are going for Shabby Chic.

I think you have about all the elements in place. I don't mind your wallpaper---in fact, it's styling lends to the look. I like your wood furniture pieces; would you be opposed to painting them white?

As far as the subject of your bed... what about taking a different turn on your fabric color choice. Why are you trying to match the iron bed frame? It's a difficult color, and perhaps it would show better if you let it stand for itself. For example, how about trying a very simplistic and small pink floral pattern on a white background? Something similar to your current pillows? (I'm hoping that the green in those patterns is minimal enough!)

What are your thoughts, FA?

I'm including a reference link. Browse the photo gallery and notice how present the white furniture, white fabrics are. Since the all white bed is a no-go, we can figure pulling that white in elsewhere in your room.

Notice that much of the bedding in the link is lined with a simple, casual white ruffle. The PB beddings posted above are much more clean-lined.

Your dog looks sweet, btw. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Shabby inspirations

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

I like what you have already! Maybe not the drapes but the bedding. I think the room and furniture say cottagey to me than anything else.
    I might look at Sundance catalog pictures for some inspiration too.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

wow, PC.. that is an amazing match. Thank you for locating it.. but my one need is that the bedding is all natural fibers. It's a shame though because that is really a great match.

That is a great trick-- overlaying the frame on the image. It is really helpful!

• paint_chips
    15 years ago

OH, I completely missed the all-natural fibers part! I am so sorry!

Yes, I was pretty excited too when I found such a perfect match. If you find a bed you like, I can overlay the bed frame on the photo if you need. Just let me know (or send me an e-mail if don't see).

• paint_chips
    15 years ago

I felt so bad for finding a bed that wasn't natural fiber, that I have been *trying* to do another search... but everything I come up with is a funky-blend fabric.

Googled "natural bedding" and similar terms and got lots of hemp bedding sites. LOL

Are there certain places that carry only natural fibers or is there some search term you guys are using?

• TxMarti
    15 years ago

funkyart, I have almost the exact birds-eye maple pieces. My chest has doors on top that open and then drawers inside that.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Texashottie.. weird timing. I was just looking at the shabby chic site and stopped back here and saw that you must have posted when I did earlier. I didn't see your post or questions until now. I'll answer as much as I can..

I AM kind of all over the place-- mainly because my original plan was turned upside down when the chest didn't fit upstairs. It's not the most horrible thing as I was feeling some pangs of regret to give up the birds eye maple pieces which my parents bought for me when I was 18. I HAVE thought of painting the pieces-- but I just can't in good conscience paint over birds eye maple (even though it is veneer .. and I need to have the tops reveneered). It isn't a valuable set but I need to keep it intact. I am not opposed to buying other furniture-- but I am already stuck with a $1400 chest that wouldn't go upstairs.

My original plan was to go with a rustic country garden look. Not heavy on country-- but country garden. Now hmm.. that definitely has shabby chic tendencies but I admit to having a touch of bias against the label "shabby chic".

The wallpaper WILL NOT be staying-- it is partially off the walls and the picture is deceiving. It is very ugly.

Back to shabby chic-- I love mixing patterns and florals but that seems to be a bit too much with the bed. Maybe I am using the wrong patterns-- but so far I have worked with what I have... most of which is some variety of green.

I love pink-- but I really don't want a pink bedroom. Pink touches are great... but not a pink room. (I have a couple of pieces of artwork with pink).

As much as I love silk and velvet-- they are more a dream than reality. It's not practical for my room. I would love a velvet throw-- but that will be a last touch once I have bedding and paint figured out. I DO need good quality bedding-- but it doesn't have to be crazy good. I am very happy with my ralph lauren sheets and duvet covers.

I am really frustrated-- I used to change my bedding OFTEN. I changed with my moods and whims and it was always fun. I shouldn't be struggling so now... and once I find something, I'll be stuck with it for awhile. I am starting to think I should just sell the bed-- but I find it unlikely that I'll get what I paid for. Maybe I should just repaint it. I do love the color but I am not sure it's going to work for me in the long run. I am sick with regret.

But it is late.. and tomorrow is a new day. :) I am sure I will find something that will work. I'll keep looking down the shabby chic path.

Thanks for all the energy you put into thinking about my room.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

PC.. awwww aren't you a sweetheart. Please don't feel badly!! Cotton is perfect for the bedding-- it doesn't have to be organic or hemp hahah. I just can't stand the feel of synthetics (and my nieces are all allergic).

• texashottie
    15 years ago

FA, don't get frustrated!! I totally hear where you are coming from.

(I bought a desk that was supposed to go in my MBr and didn't make it down my hallway. I know the feeling.)

I was thinking that the pink floral would mainly be an accent. I didn't mean to infer using pink as a main color.

Don't paint your wood furniture if it makes you uncomfortable--I can understand the emotional ties you must have!

I didn't realize that you like mixing patterns on your bed. That gives me more scope as I was not thinking that way.

I also gather that you really like green and want to use it. That bed frame, though really pretty, is getting in the way, LOL!

What do you think about painting it white? Then you can use that beautiful garden toile, and maybe find a coordinating ticking as a secondary pattern (since you like to mix?)

(If you do decide to paint it, I would mull it over awhile before actually doing it.)

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

texashottie.. yes, the bed IS IN THE WAY haha. Man, I would laugh more if I hadn't spent so much on the bed. It was totally an emotional purchase rather than a wise one. The frame was supposed to be a more mossy green. I went through so many iterations of photos of the bed that the finisher and myself were both very frustrated. I have been in a turquoise phase so I finally just said, it isn't the color I wanted but I like it so ship it. Ugh. It's just such a difficult color. I am getting really close to pulling out my acrylics and adding layers of new color. I was leaning towards a brown range-- white would be lovely too. Maybe I should just ship it back to the store and have them put a new finish on it. Since it was a big investment, I want to be sure it is done well.

I have spent the morning looking at sferra linens. A lot of the sferra colors work well-- I may just hop in the car and run to Tuesday Morning to see what they have. I do love linen but I never considered it because of the wrinkling.

Yup-- I am not afraid of pink, florals or layering patterns. I just want it to look like a grown up retreat when I am done and not a teens room. I am a jeans and pearls kind of woman-- I want the room to be casual but beautiful. Like me hahahhahahah (not even on a good day!)

• Marg411
    15 years ago

Well, I think the bed purchase was wise, but I love it. The bed is saying it doesn't like that wallpaper though, and I'm not sure any bedding will look good to you until you change the wallpaper, or the wall color. I think that's throwing you off.

I'd probably go over the top with cabbage roses, if they suited your fancy. Shabby chic can be made to look cottagy, which is my favorite style.

For a cheaper alternative, so you can play around with what you might like, look at Target, AND they have good 100% cotton sheets, on sale lots of times. I cannot stand anything but a cotton sheet, and have found good ones there. Well, I can stand linen sheets, just never have bought any.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think you are right, Meg. The wallpaper, ugly curtains and dresser pushed close are clouding the whole issue. The room itself is a mess too with piles of clothes and boxes. It's hard to see the beauty through the crap. I also think I need to have a skirt on the bed before I try bedding. It isn't going to be about one piece-- it will be the ensemble that makes it.

I have a few ideas now so I am feeling better about it. I selected the finish so that it would be a truly unique and "me" bed.. something I could pass on to the one of my nieces. I need to approach it as a unique feature rather than a problem.

I tried a pillow sham from one of the sets I had in the closet last night-- and while it isnt the style I want, the colors work a LOT better. It is a pattern with both blue and green in it. I think that might be the trick.. to bring in both colors.

The link below is more contemporary than I had envisioned-- but I have been in love with this set for months. It is so fresh and cheery. I think it could work really well for spring and summer. Once the dressers are refinished/repaired, I'll put glass knobs on the drawers.

I am also going to stop at Tuesday Morning today and see what I can find.

Thanks for the encouragement-- it helps a lot :)

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sorry, here is the link

Here is a link that might be useful: springtime by barbara barry

• trinityklm
    15 years ago

This one might have just enough pink to play off of the finials of the bed. It's hard to tell. But the various shades of green, plus the mixed patterns look you said you liked might work. It certainly wouldn't show any dog fur!

The other part I liked was the plum color that gives it a little bit of a sophisticated flare, as opposed to the brown you were feeling unsure about.

Here is a link that might be useful: Emilie quilt

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I really like that one, Trinityklc! I have one similar from PB but it doesn't have that plum-- which like you said, really makes it pop! I like the company store products too.

I don't really have a hesitation to brown-- I actually think an "earth" color (brown, sienna, rust, clay.. and now that dark browny plum) would help pull the furniture in and help achieve the garden inspiration. I think I may get that one for the fall.

I have my niece and nephew here today-- and my niece is totally in love with my bed. I find her sitting in there by herself all the time hahah. She is insisting I need to keep the blue and green quilt set that I put in there last night. I said "don't you think that is a little young for me?".. she said "well I think it is both-- besides, you are an adult but you are young like a teenager too" eek hahahah.

• mpmg46
    15 years ago

JCPenny has a few pretty sets in the brown/bluish color range. I'm not sure that I know how to link just yet, but I'll try. My apologies in advance in the event that it doesn't work.

Your bed is beautiful by the way!

Here is a link that might be useful: JCPenny comforter blue/brown

• parma42
    15 years ago

That's the one (pennys) that ttodd is looking at. I almost posted that too, mpmg46.

• mpmg46
    15 years ago

Here's a similar one at JCP as well. The nice thing about JCP is that they have a great return policy, and you can ship items to the store to save on shipping (if you have a JCP nearby and can pick it up). So if you don't like something from them, you won't be out $$.

Also, if you have a Home Goods nearby, you may find something there that you like.

(parma42-I've looked at that one often, I guess that's why it came to mind. Our bed is a dark wood sleigh bed, so I'm not sure I'd like the look--nor would my husband like me redoing the room after only 2 years of what we currently have!!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Another JCP set

• trinityklm
    15 years ago

I'm pretty sure she wants something natural (cotton or linen) and not dry clean only since she has dogs.

I love so many bed sets, but I have the same requirements. It cuts the choices down quite a bit!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions! They are beautiful sets but a tad too formal and Trinity is right, I need cotton, silk, linen-- something natural. I admit that the Lyon set I like is also formalish-- but it is all natural and I would use the duvet cover and shams along with white shams and a white skirt. That still may be a tad formal for me.

I did stop at Tuesday Morning today (no Home Goods here) and saw some BEAUTIFUL sferra sheets and matelasse quilts. I had seen their sheets before but never their quilts. Wow-- the quality is about 3 notches above any other matelasse I've ever had. Unfortunately none were the right color or size but I'll stop back again in a few days.

Thank you all so much for your recommendations. It always amazes me how quickly everyone pitches in to help another here.

• mpmg46
    15 years ago

Oops I'm sorry! I missed the natural materials part in my reading.

One last thought, and I know some may think it's tacky, but for what it's worth: Boscovs. I just checked and they have all cotton/machine washable comforter sets.

Good luck!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mpmg.. No sorries! I appreciated your suggestions!

I live less than a mile from a Boscov's and I havent even thought to look there! I've only recently moved back to the area and keep forgetting Boscov's is there. I do want a very soft high tc-- which I am not sure they carry, but I'll stop and check them out. They often surprise me with what they carry.

You must be in my general area-- as I don't think Boscovs extends too far beyond central PA.

I'll find something to work-- I am sure of it. In fact, I am confident I'll find a few looks that will work. I just need to be patient and hit all the haunts.

• Cynthia A
    15 years ago

Have you thought about Tuesday Morning? I buy most of my bed/bath accessories, etc. there. I love the quality and prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tuesday Morning

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yup, Cynnamama-- I was there today. There was nothing in my size/color but I'll check back in a few days. Thanks for the suggestion.

• mpmg46
    15 years ago

Any luck yet? A friend just bought a set from Dillards, so I thought I throw that out there as well, in case it hasn't already been suggested.

there's a boscovs in upstate ny too. I think it's probably the only one outside of pa. Enjoy your wknd.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have a couple of possibilities.. I am feeling MUCH better. I really needed to know that I could have two or three sets that I could switch off.

I ordered a pillow sham in the lyon-- to test out the colors. I also ordered a swatch of the garden toile. I still like Barbara Barry's Springtime and I really like a new one I found (at Dillards). I havent been to Boscov's yet.. I've had at least one niece and/or nephew for the last 64 hr.

I am going to try to wait for my swatches etc to arrive before making a decision... but bloomingdales is having a really big sale today. ;)

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I meant to thank you too. I appreciate all you help-- and everyone's. I think I'll start a new thread with some photos of the candidates on the short list.

• PRO
    Spallina Interiors
    4 years ago

11 years later I come across your post... Here is the bedding you liked!

Christmas Decor · More Info