SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladybugfruit

Facia replacement before new roof question

ladybugfruit
16 years ago

Ok, so this is our first, no second ( can't forget the crazy foundation repairs last summer) major project as homeowners and I an wanting to make sure I am on the right track. The previous roof was installed incorrectly and now we are having to not only replace the roof, but also the facia board all the way around the house due to wood rot. Our carpenter is replacing all the the facia but also wants to install a 1x2drip edge...our roofer has included this in his bid as well. My understanding from talking to the carpenter is that the 1x2 he installing is wood and the roofers is metal. Do we need these both? I certainly don't want to have to replace the facia again. There is currently a metal drip edge from the previous job and it certainly didn't seem to do the job.

Also, we are having 1x4 trim craft installed along all the edges of our siding ( we can't afford to replace siding as well). Would it be customary for the carpenter to do all the caulking as well when the wood is installed. We are going to have the house painted within a month afterwards and I know the painters do that in prep work, but I worry about water and critters in the meantime.

I appreciate any feedback. This is all new and while I have tried to research it, I am still in unfamiliar territory.

TIA,

Erin

Comments (9)