SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Hi, new here with a question...

2ajsmama
14 years ago

I recognize a lot of names from Home Dec - hi! But thought I'd post over here since it's not decorating.

DD wants me to make some PJs for her, maybe some nightgowns (though she complains about nightgowns bunching up around her waist at night). I went to Walmart since they're the only "fabric store" in town and they didn't have any flame-retardant fabric. She doesn't like seams, elastics, or snug-fitting clothes. Lady at cutting table told me they didn't have any FR fabric, they use the "regular" fabric all the time. I bought the ends (clearance) of bolts, 3-4 yds each, of some cotton prints (one said "nursery fabric" though it was a kind of tie-dye, not a print, so I don't know what "nursery fabric" means). Also one silky polyester Chinese dragon brocade (it was $1.50/yd, got a 2-yd piece and a 3-yd piece).

Are these really safe to use? I'd use the poly only for PJs, not a nightgown. Is the cotton OK to use for a nightgown? Or only PJs? Also would try to modify the pattern I got from my aunt to do tapered legs and sleeves instead of bell-bottom type legs and ruffled long sleeves (since DD doesn't like elastic in sleeves anyway - she hasn't complained about elastic waists). Not snug-fitting but at least not flowing.

If these fabrics aren't suitable for sleepwear (I know they're not legal), then where can I find FR fabric? Joann's and Fabric Guru don't seem to have any. Thanks.

Comments (5)