SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lnmca

Hi, I'm new here and probably made a cardinal mistake today...

lnmca
16 years ago

Hi,

I am a fan of gardenweb, and usually am on the rocky mountain gardening forum and home decorating forums. However, I am still very new to gardening. I bought quite a few annuals from HD yesterday to fill my large containers. I planted half of them and then started reading this forum while taking a break. I wonder if someone can tell me if I made a huge mistake...here's what I did:

Ace was having a sale on topsoil, so my husband went a little overboard and bought 5 bags. I filled one large container 2/3 full with the topsoil (since we had so much)...the rest I filled w/ ferti-lome...supposed to be some high-falootin' stuff (according to the bag) that I bought from a local garden center. Then I planted the annuals. My question: will this creation turn to mud and choke out my plants? or is it ok since the top layer, which contains the entirety of the plant roots, is bona-fide "potting soil".

At least I did the right thing by dumping the old potting soil (which was compromised by grubs last year) and scrubbing the pot down. Yay!

Pardon my ignorance. Doesn't seem like the answer is easily obtained since you all have clearly elevated this to a science! I'll have to lurk on this site more...very interesting place! Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

-Lori

Comments (3)