SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orourke_gw

Is window possible in tub/shower with acrylic/fiberglass enclosur

orourke
14 years ago

I have stripped my bathroom down to the studs (see my other post for structural work done) and I want to install a new shower/bathtub combo with a fiberglass/acrylic tub enclosure (there was only a small corner shower there before).

The problem is that there is a window on the long side of this shower/bathtub. How do I seal around the window? This must be a common problem. Is there something that can be used around the window that will even remotely look like a continuation of the fiberglass/acrylic enclosure? Of course, it would have to be something that keeps the shower water out. As far as the window itself, IÂm planning to change the current aluminum frame with dual pane vinyl.

I found something along these lines:

http://www.americanbathind.com/productdrawings/AmeriWall-Simulated-Tile-Window-Kits.pdf

but judging from the fact that it only protects 3 sides (what about the top?) perhaps it does not provide the watertightness I am hoping for.

-----

P.S. Window is 2Âx2Â about 60" up from floor level. Eliminating the window would make things easier but this window is the only source of natural light in the bathroom, so IÂd like to keep it.

I know that using tile rather then a fiberglass enclosure would allow me to tile around the window and that with proper waterproofing it could turn out decent. However, call me cheap, but I do prefer fiberglass/acrylic over tile. Tile feels harsh and cold (it IS actually cold in the winter) and seems more difficult to keep clean than fiberglass/acrylic.

Comments (4)