SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
californiaplaya

Need opinions on patching/repairing fiberglass tub surround

californiaplaya
14 years ago

I am once again going through the thought process of updating my second/guest/hallway bath in my 2bd/2ba condo. The tub/shower surround in there is actually in good condition considering it is 25 years old. I don't use this bathroom much and I can tell by the looks of it that the previous owners didn't use it much either.

Initially I was planning on replacing the tub and putting in a jetted tub. But that would be a lot of work and expensive and I don't even know if I'd be able to get this in the bathroom without tearing down part of a wall...more work. So that Idea is out.

I then considered the re-bath thing. One reason I'd like to do this is to kind of 'hide' the current surround. I'm 6' and when I take a shower in there, I am taller than the top of the surround. I don't like how short it seems, at least to me, I think it should go up higher. Also, I don't like the sound of it, when you hit the walls, it sounds hollow and fake. I also don't like the odd cut out shelf/soap holder grab bar thing, this just looks odd to me. If I were to do this, I would like something that goes up to the ceiling (8') and possibly a cap as well. But, looking around, I see this is a pretty pricey option and with mixed results. I honestly think I would be better off replacing the tub and putting in something nice with tiles.

I then thought I'd have it resurfaced or reglazed or whatever its called. But seeing the mixed reviews on here and other places, I'm thinking that may just make it worse if the job isn't done right - a waste of time and $$$. The reason I thought about doing this is because there are shower doors on this tub. I plan on removing these and putting up a nice curtain (easier to clean, update, etc.). This would obviously leave some holes where the frame is attached that would need to be patched. There are also a couple of small surface chips (smaller than a pinky finger nail) and a small surface crack in 1 corner. All these chips and cracks are surface only and do not go all the way through - although the holes from the doors are probably different. Besides this, it is in good condition.

So, I am now thinking to just remove the doors and find a decent repair/patch kit and do the job myself. I see a few online, but don't know what works or doesn't. I've also seen some posts elsewhere recommending Bondo or other body filler. I'm not so concerned about the little chips, but I do want to get the holes from the door removal filled and at least looking decent. So, is this something I can do on my own? Also, any suggestions for other things I should consider besides what I've already mentioned?

My plan for this bath is just an update. Replace vanity, vanity top, faucet, mirror, light, toilet, remove linoleum floor and put tiles most likely. I'm thinking in the $3,000-4,000 range depending on what I do with the tub. Bathroom is 6'x12'. This is in a condo, so no gutting everything, knocking down walls, etc.

Thank You!!!

My boring bathroom:

{{gwi:1394367}}

Tub:

{{gwi:1494400}}

{{gwi:1494402}}

Small chips:

{{gwi:1499491}}

Comments (7)