SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
faireepoms

Sad Roofing Lesson Learned

faireepoms
17 years ago

Today we had scheduled an 1100 square foot flat roof to be replaced in Philadelphia. The roofing company was professional, courteous and gave us an estimate of $3600 for a new white rubber roof and shingle replacement. We heard this was a bit on the high end but the company has been in business for 30 years with a good reputation. No payment until the job is completed as per company policy.

This morning the roof was ripped off and exposed a rotted plywood base. The project manager called and said it all needed to be replaced. Rain was in the forecast and an additional crew was called in. The new total cost?

$15,000.

I know the roofing company did exactly the work they described and the wood was truly rotting. (We live in NY and my SIL ran over to take a look and said it was rotting.) I am receiving photos of the roof damage and an itemized receipt of the labor and materials with a detailed work description from the roofing company.

After I authorized the work to proceed I have heard that this is an outrageous price for the work done.

I do know it is a free country and a company can charge what ever they want if a customer is willing to pay.

The roofing company insisted that they are in line with their new quote and even offered the name of every other union roofing company in the city for comparision.

The moral of the story: don't be pressured by rain, an open roof and a 6:30am phone call with bad news. Tell the contractor to close up the roof and get more estimates.

I am still shaking my head in disbelief that the bad word- of-mouth publicity (and future business lost) was worth $15,000 to this company.

Poorer but wiser.

Marion

Comments (16)