SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_tyner96

Lesson learned, wash the roots better

Amanda Tyner
6 years ago

When I repotted my Meyer lemon I thought had washed the roots well enough. It was a tight ball of roots and I gently washed them off with the house. I did not get the inside of the ball well enough. It came in a heavy peat and sand mix from RBF. All of my other trees have been absolutely thriving, flowering and fruiting like crazy. I ran through my checklists of what I could do to help the Meyer, and I finally just gently dumped the pot see what the heck was going on. It had root rot all around the the bottom core where there was still some of the original potting mix. Root rot in June with 90 degree temperatures! I think I lost about 1/3 of the roots and I pulled the remaining one lemon off of the tree. Hopefully now it can recover and start flushing some new healthy growth. I am kicking myself for not doing this earlier. Atleast I have read enough from the great people on this site to know how to run the list to check for problems!

Pile of dead roots.

Tree is still green but looking sad. No more old mix on the roots now.

Hopefully someone else can use these pictures to see the effects of root rot and save their tree.

Alright, enough with that sadness! My other trees are happy!

baby Meyer lemon is flowering.

GN has a new fruitlet

Calamondin is loaded with fruitlets

Hey Mike! Remember how I thought maybe my hibiscus root that I ordered was dead? It was definitely not! I have never had a plant with this kind of growth rate in my life! It is taller than my two year olds after less than 2 months of growth. No flowers yet but it is forming buds.

Comments (22)