SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mortarmixer

Belated Mother's Day surprise, need advice please

mortarmixer
11 years ago

So this coming Friday, I'm sending my wife and daughters on an extended vacation for 10 days. She's an absolute nervous wreck and has no idea of my plans, or at least I don't think she does. The plan is to install the flooring, cabinets, island countertop, and finish all of the brick work that hasn't been started yet in this time with the help of a couple of friends. If time permits, I will also convert the old kitchen into a pantry so she has a place to keep all of her canning items as well as can on the electric stove vs the gas stove in the kitchen. I hope I do this picture right.

Over the past year, I have been doing my best to remember all of the things she's dreamed of in a new kitchen. I can do most of it on our budget and have almost all of the items she's talked about wanting. The only things I can't give her are the size kitchen that she wants and perimeter granite. I'm working with a previous room and I don't have time to change it. I do know that she wanted very few wall cabinets, open storage in the island for bigger items like her mixer and food processor, and I hope she still likes off white cabinets with an almost black island. The entire north wall of the kitchen will be bricked 27" from the existing wall with arched alcoves (I think that's what she called them) around the range and fridge and arched doorways that will be solid brick. There will also be an arched opening over the alcove arch for her to put plants or plates in as well as nooks in the corner by the range and in the corner by the door. The brick is light and very aged with very little red in it. The floors will be 7" natural black walnut, the perimeter cabinets are off-white, the island almost black with a darker stained 2" thick walnut top. I'll let her pick out the wall color, because I know she would repaint in a week if I chose the color. My only issues are the area in front of the pantry door and the island. I would love an eat in kitchen. She hates the idea, and I don't think there is enough room there for a decent sized table for 5. I know she would rather have a large island, so I will not cut down on the size. She loves flowers and gardening and the windows are huge, and I know she would love to have a sunporch area, but I don't know if she would want that in the kitchen. Is the 3' walkway on the back of the island is sufficient for a couple of stools to sit at and drink a cup of coffee or for the girls to sit at to "help" cook up meals or roll out pie crust? And there is a bit of confusion as to whether all of the things that she has mentioned that she likes is too much for the room. I mean two colored cabinets, brick, walnut, it sounds like a lot going on and I hate to mess this up for her.

Comments (146)