SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coffeepoetry

please vote: what should I paint?

coffeepoetry
14 years ago

I loved all your feedback on my previous post on the pine ceiling.

Something in this house needs to be changed. Something's gotta go....the colours just don't work together. And the place needs more light. SO...if you had to choose, what would you do:

1) Paint the brick fireplace (and if so, what?)

2) Paint the ceiling (we got a mainly resounding 'no' to that on the previous post)

3) Retile the existing very busy terrazzo

Option 1 and 2 are both feasible for me at this time; option 3 would have to wait a couple of years. But I'm really interested to hear what you think should be changed to make this place work.

I really really appreciate your feedback - even just one word on what needs to be painted!

Comments (72)

• smiller-2007
    14 years ago

Leave the ceiling, leave the fireplace, paint the "whoosh" beside the fireplace a wild, bright orange, carpet the floor for now, replace with wood floors eventually.

• jay06
    14 years ago

I'd paint the beams and entire fireplace an off-white, and the walls a very pale tan or beige.

• Related Discussions

Please Vote: Should I use 2 panels on each window?

Q

Comments (47)
    Wow - I could've sworn I posted in this thread earlier today, but it's not here (obviously!). Anyway, thank you so much for the suggestions. Right now, I may be leaning ever-so-slightly to going ahead and purchasing another pair of curtains, using a pair each on these smaller windows, and just stacking them back a bit more than they are on the front windows. (I think the fabric lends itself to that easily.) I won't do anything until after my trip though - am leaving tomorrow with "me Mum" for a couple of weeks in Cornwall and Devon, where I hope to gather up a lot more decorating inspiration! :-)
    ...See More

Okay, I have paint chip pics now-- your votes, please!

Q

Comments (12)
    I saw a lovely kitchen on the hgtv forums that had cabinets similar to yours. Their paint color was BM 'Toasted pecan'. I liked it so much I went and got the paint strip because I was thinking about it for my kitchen (only to find we're being relocated in a month or two). It looks awfully dark on the paint strip, so I was thinking about the one up from it, 'Tuscany'. I just held that strip beside SW Whole Wheat (don't have a Tobacco Road) and either one looks like a good complement. It's a reddish-brown, "terra cotta-like", very similar to another of my favorites, BM 'Audubon Russet'. It would look great too. Tracey
    ...See More

What color should I paint my bathroom wall please?

Q

Comments (1)
    Bump. I really would like to get some replies as I haven't done my bathroom yet because I'm feeling stuck on what I should do. Anybody?
    ...See More

what colors should I paint my house... help please

Q

Comments (2)
    Everything white except the garage door (including the pergola).
    ...See More
  • User
    14 years ago

Squirrel you did a great job with those pics! I love the beams. Can you change her floor to something darker like walnut flooring leaving the white ceilinga and dark beams? I love this room, coffe, it's got a lot of personality!

• parma42
    14 years ago

Great room!

• ms-thrifty
    14 years ago

MY 2 cents worth-paint the beams, not the celing. lighter-biege or off white, No to painting the fireplace, as the brick is a rustic feel to the room, and I'd keep that, unless you don't like the look. I think the floor is very nice, but doesn't go with the look--but I would try a rug, before tearing it out.

• mimi_2006
    14 years ago

I would definitely leave the ceiling and floor and paint the fireplace. I'd do the brick in a creamy white, maybe paint the walls a warmer color (perhaps with some gold but not dark) Then lots of creamy white accents, drapes (which you have), pillows, lamps, etc.

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Some gorgeous focal points! I agree with painting the room a softer, creamier look, I like the light color with your ceiling and fireplace and would look great with dark wood floors. Just not so white a white.

That fireplace is wonderful - I would not paint it, but I am wondering about lightening it just a bit. I'm not sure how the paint washing works, but that might be a possibility. As I stated above, definitely change out to wood flooring. I agree with Jane about some different drapes and I love the prior suggestion of an iron chandelier.

tina

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here's some coloring ideas, working the wood. Showing the original ceiling and flooring, as well as two re-stained ceiling colors and walnut floor. The walls are a brighter white, upholstery and rug also light.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• coffeepoetry
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your input!! You are amazing (especially squirrel!). Although I see there are almost as many opinions as replies.

To answer a few of your questions:
    We plan on staying here a good long time, several decades I'd say (although of course life is full of surprises, and one can't really plan a month in advance, let alone years). So resale is not an issue at this point.

I do plan on getting a light coloured plain rug in future.

The one element that bugs me personally the most is probably the floor. It would have to be the element most expensive to change, of course. It is considered very dated where I live, but of course, as one poster said, that could mean it will be the in 'vintage' thing in the near future. What bothers me is that it is very, very busy, and the tone seems to clash with the orangey fireplace and ceiling. Maybe several plain rugs will solve my problem.

I won't do wall-to-wall carpet because I have 5 kids and it would be a disaster (this is where the existing terrazzo is a godsend - you can't see a thing). I hadn't really thought of doing wood, but it's an idea. I live in a hot climate and most do tile.

The beams are not painted, but stained really dark. Does one simply strip and restain?

Squirrel - that photoshop is pure magic. Thank you!!! If by anychance you feel like it, I would love to see just the fireplace painted, with the existing floor and ceiling.
    And thank you everyone - what visions you have put in my head for what this room could be!! If only I were a little more decisive, or had a few more funds to play with....

• User
    14 years ago

# 1
    As I said in your last thread coffeepoetry, I'd paint the fireplace in a high gloss ivory/cream, which ever best fits your wall color and other decor. This would give the look of subway tile and remove the line that connects the floor and ceiling.

• coffeepoetry
    Original Author
    14 years ago

As I was posting, a few more of you posted, so now I have more to ponder, especially as squirrel sent some more magic renditions my way! Thank you. I really think a sisal rug could solve a lot of the problems, now that I see it 'for real'.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here's an easy-care tile in a rich color, guessing the wood isn't as care-free as you'd like, as with your current flooring.

Will try to find some real limestone.

Haven't caught up with posts yet : )

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

ImageShack's updates are a little behind, wrong one posted -- here's the tile:

{{!gwi}}/a>

• coffeepoetry
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks squirrel! So far I really like the idea of staining the ceiling a slightly different colour, like the second image in your 15:15 post. It seems to bridge the colour clash, while retaining the appeal of wood. I wonder how much work that would entail though.

Along with a rug, that just might solve the issue.

If we ever retile, it will likely be light, similar to limestone, or even terrazzo again, but in a more uniform colour, and whitish or beige.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

I've just got to say Squirrel is the best!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here's your home put back together! Got you the fireplace painted pretty this time. That floor sure makes the walls pink.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• graywings123
    14 years ago

You could paint the terrazzo floor.

You can use regular paint and poly over it. Or take a look at the colors offered for garage flooring. There is a version of garage flooring that comes out looking like stone.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here's the toned down ceiling and variety of fps:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• barb5
    14 years ago

Coffee, I have to agree with you that that stained ceiling looks very handsome. Maybe that is the answer.

Squirrel, you are amazing!

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

Take a look at this room with its wooden ceiling. You can mitigate the terrazzo with big natural fiber or wool sisal area rugs. Then it becomes an interesting border rather than the main event.

I'd paint the brick the wall color, and put lighter fabric on your sofa and fatter, pale cushions on your chairs to move toward this look, if you like it. I would also consider moving the furniture away from the walls and into the room, organized in front of the fireplace.

• postum
    14 years ago

Hi -
    Yes, I would keep the ceiling too. If it feels too opressive and you would like to lighten it, one option would be to give a pickled finish (or limed - see link below to liming wax.)

I would do something to the floors - not necessarily retile. (I know this is a hard decision - I have a beautiful, expensively tiled entry I hate and have been living with for 5 years. It's a small area and low priority, but I can't wait to see it go.) The floors are very pretty but don't work with the brick. I am a big fan of hardwood, which would be my first choice but I can actually see carpet working in that area.

You didn't mention painting the walls. I think that would make the biggest difference here. You need a richer, warmer color to bring together the wood ceiling and beautiful brick, as well as to play up your pretty furniture.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: liming wax

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

You'll have to squint for this golden cream limestone floor:

{{!gwi}}/a>

{{!gwi}}

• leahcate
    14 years ago

Here I go quick and not too tactful: Whatever else you do cover,paint or re-place that floor. I know it was your last choice...sorry, but it is not working for me, regardless. Sisal look ( Berber-ish) carpet would be quick and not too $$)
    Remove the awkward shelf. Hang new,longer panels.
    Paint the fireplace cream, but leave the ceiling as is. After all's done take another look and perhaps re-stain it if need be. This room could be outstanding and without much to do! I could live with everything as is for a couple of years, except the floor.
    p.s. oh ms. Squirrel: it wasn't my first thought, but I have read a dark floor visually grounds a room with tall ceiling...could ya, would ya? :>)( with ceiling intact and fireplace painted, please :>)?

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

For Leah : )

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Shelf removed:

{{!gwi}}

• leahcate
    14 years ago

Wow! xoxo to Ms.S! Okay. I love, love ,love the dark floor with the ceiling as is , white walls and brick, with shelf removed. Wow! Isn't Pergo inexpensive, and easy DIY? I know wood is preferable, but I think you put it right over the existing floor and there ya go! Could add a cream/beige Berber/sisal area rug. to me this is The best look and doable! Thanks again, Squirrel!

• natal
    14 years ago

Wow is right! Getting rid of that ledge is like a weight lifted. I love the painted fireplace and the wood floors. Even the ceiling looks good as is. Great job Squirrel!

• coffeepoetry
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You are all amazing. Squirrel, I just loved the second picture you posted at 16:49. That is my dream set-up; the picture made me realize that indeed it is the floor that is driving me nuts, and that the fireplace and ceiling can both shine once it's gone. Plus, without the floor, the whole set-up becomes so neutral, and I can add lots of colour and pattern. I like colour, it's just been so hard to co-ordinate with the floor.

I can also see now that the couch definitely needs to be reupholstered in something lighter.

Bronswynmom, I will save that pic for inspiration, it's lovely. I am going to buy a rug or two for now, but there's still a lot of exposed floor, so I don't think I'll be able to reach the level of serenity in that photo. But I like the general feel of the space, and will save it for reference.

I really appreciate everyone's input. I enjoyed reading every single opinion, every comment threw a different light on the matter. As it stands, I am not going to paint the ceiling - this was just in time because I already had painters in to give me estimates. I will look into changing the tone slightly via a stain (is that even possible?) I will not paint the fireplace either; the creamy white mock-ups were absolutely lovely, but too dainty I think for our set-up. The floor will be the one to change (we would have to settle for the most expensive choice....)

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Wellll, I like the ceiling toned down and I also prefer the ledge ; ) Without it, it's looking too Americanized, more like PB, imo. I love the house and its unique features. The bright orange of the ceiling, though, I'd want to modify, esp since it feels so heavy overhead. Heavy and bright feels overbearing. Less vibrancy with the beams, too.

I do think the cream fp is very pretty. As is the wood floor (but doesn't seem practical for her). That light stone floor is quite pretty, too, with the ceiling toned down. Really liked the dark tile, too, lol, but that's not going to help with the light.

Brightening the walls with a creamy white, and using lighter upholstery and rugs would really help lighten things up.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Oh great! Decisions. I love that scenario, too, and am glad to hear you like the fireplace afterall. I feel it really belongs with that ceiling. That is your vision and it's beautiful. Let me show one without the ceiling toned down, just so you can see.

Here are two shades on the ceiling, one with more of its current color than the other.

You're welcome and glad you were able to reach a decision!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Somebody got ahead of themselves, lol:

{{!gwi}}

• gin2402
    14 years ago

I am brand new to this board and by no means an expert but I say vote for lightening the brick and beams by painting. You'll get the most bang for your buck. I would also paint the walls a warmer color. If you aren't comfortable w/ a lot of color then a light tan color would be nice.

I can understand your desire to have a practical floor. I also have 5 children also and have tile and wood throughout my whole house. It's also easier to clean and maintain. I like the idea changing the color of the floor w/ a paint or even a poly.. maybe a tinted one?

I enjoyed looking at your pictures. I am really interested in knowing where you live. I have family in Spain and your house would fit in perfectly there. Right down to the pattern of the floor. ;) And are those persianas on your windows?

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

And TeaCats lovely scenario. Verry pretty!!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

And a silky, effervescent green. (Don't mind us, Poetry, we're a very enthusiastic group : )

(Hey GottaBe, you're beating me this week on BoardReader, heh heh heh : )

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• amysrq
    14 years ago

I agree with gin. My sense is that the beams are very heavy looking. If you paint them white, it will highlight the rest of the wood yet be less oppressive. Keep the beautiful wood and lose the weighty feeling of the dark beams.

I also think the fireplace should be unified with paint. I like the curvy shape, but it kind of gets lost behind the brick.

I like the ledge and agree that it makes the room distinctive. I wonder about painting a color from just beneath the ledge down and having the upper part of the wall continue to blend with the ceiling. It is a great place to display some kind of substantial collection. In a smaller room, that ledge would be overbearing. You have a huge room that can support it.

Even though that red floor is a bear to work around, it is really unusual, 100% impervious to whatever life and kids send your way and looks like it is in good condition. Where I used to live, so many people tore out the original terazzo. I thought it was such a shame.

Changing the flooring is also a very expensive fix and I'd like to see you try the easier path first. The two easiest things to re-do are the fireplace and just the beams. Small investment of time and money, biggest visual return, IMO.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Crazy with a red floor?

{{!gwi}}

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I think its the floor that throws things off. I would not do anything irreversible like painting the brick or ceiling until you saw how things looked without the burgundy floor. I love terrazzo, but not that one in that room. I would even buy rolls of brown kraft paper and cover the floors to see what happens with a more neutral ground. (not the burgundy rosin paper that is almost the color of the floor now!)

I am afraid if you painted that ceiling, once you had a more ...normal floor, you might miss it. Same with the fireplace...you can't really evaluate what the room is going to look like without that floor because that floor is so insistent. Squirrels pics show that it is a different room minus the floor with all the other elements the same. Try to temporarily subtract the floor in real life.

• gin2402
    14 years ago

After seeing the picture w/ the beams white, I think you should leave them. Or paint the whole ceiling. But I think if it were me I'd leave it as is. I would paint the brick though.

I do think the floor needs to be changed, but I would still check into painting it in the meantime...

• coffeepoetry
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think the beams look awkward painted white, although theoretically it sounded like a great idea.

Some of the virtuals are gorgeous, including the all-painted white scenario. But I most connect to the one with the limestone floor, the unpainted fireplace and the slightly stained ceiling. And I suppose that is what it's all about - seeing all the options which could work esthetically and choosing the one which makes you feel at home.
    (BTW - I doubt we would use real limestone, because of maintenance, but a high quality tile look-alike with a lazer cut, to eliminate most grout).

So thanks for showing me all the options. I really love that image with the light floor, and can already imagine it with a colourful rug and pottery on the top shelf (which I think we'll keep for now).
    Gin- I'm located in Israel, not too far from Spain I guess. I don't know what a 'persiana' is, so not sure if I have any!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

If you can re-do the floor, you'll be happy living in what makes You feel good, and improve the house -- most esp for yourselves since this will be your home for many, many years to come. It's a difficult floor to work with and the next person would probably want to be doing that too.

I looove the light floor.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

You're right CP. Theoretically, the white beams seemed like a good solution. I still think it might be an improvement, but not as much as I had hoped. Thanks SH!

I still feel the dark beams are too much. I guess, ideally, having beams that "match" the ceiling would be best.

My previous house had bamboo floors and, boy, were they yellow! I did not realize how much of a color they would bring to the mix, so I can well imagine the challenge of red.

I just think it would be a shame to fall into design lockstep with everyone around you and do the limestone look floors. It would be nice to find something lighter, but still with some individuality. Do you know that there are ceramic tiles that look like hardwood? I saw them several years ago and they were pretty amazing. Just a thought...

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here's some color and the dark beams softened with a weathered brown.

Good luck! Please keep us posted on your progress : )

{{!gwi}}/a>

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

What about doing a terrazzo tile (like Fritztile) that would give you the same look but in a better color?

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Yes, terrazzo is beautiful. I do think she said she might do that again. Care to pick something out?

• coffeepoetry
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I love that last image squirrel! I have a few different colour combos in mind but it's refreshing to see how the space comes alive with colour

Amy- you are right, porecelain tile made to look like limestone is really the conformist route to take here. I'm not sure about tile that looks like hardwood though - it would always seem to me it's pretending (wait a moment - I guess I would have the same issue with tile pretending to be limestone...).

Hardwood has entered the market here in the past few years, but mainly for bedrooms. I've never lived with hardwood and worry it would not be as maintenance-free as I'd like, particularly since a lot of sand and dirt goes through this place.

Palimpest - we are thinking of doing terrazzo again. It seems 'authentic', local, and it hides a variety of sins. There is some stunning light terrazzo around, made with small stones and marble chunks on a white or beige or gray background. Plus then I could do the stairs with poured terrazzo, just like they are now.

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

I think that the ceiling should be left alone, and the rest of the room tweaked to balance it. The proportions of the beams and their height will, in my view, be made heavier and more noticeable if the ceiling is painted white...I know, it's counter-intuitive, but what happens when you paint an architectural element white is that you emphasize the details by increasing the contrast between light and shadow. Those beams will look much heavier with deep shadows on a white background.

I would also consider some subtle uplighting along the back edge of the shelf over the window to eliminate the cave effect up there. There are small eyeballs that are meant for that purpose (an example below). Tucked behind whatever you decide to display, they solve the shadow problem nicely.

I also think you need some richness on the floor for that reason. A color found in natural stone and some warmth in the rugs would do it, but if suddenly everything except the ceiling is very pale, the room will be disorienting, as though the ceiling were the floor.

And I still really want you to pull that seating arrangement out from under the shelf and arrange it around the fireplace! If the door we see is where you usually enter the house, I would put a writing desk with a good lamp on it and an attractive trash can under the window where the sofa is now, to serve as a landing place for mail and keys and the like. Perhaps a boot bench and umbrella stand by the door? If I knew how to show that here somehow, I would. I think that area needs to be a place of entry, and the room itself organized around that fireplace. As it is, it feels almost as though you are sitting in the front hall waiting for someone to ask you to dance... ;>)

Here is a link that might be useful: Uplights

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

That's what I like about the limestone, too, even though it may be popular. It's local and authentic. Something like that, as well as the terrazzo, would feel right in the space and locale.

• jlc712
    14 years ago

Chiming in late because I just saw this on a blog:
    http://nestingplacenc.blogspot.com/2009/07/painting-knotty-pine.html
    With your current budget, I think I would paint the fireplace and walls all the same color- a neutral off white or cream, and get some big sisal or seagrass rugs. Then put in your tile or limestone when you can afford it.

• gin2402
    14 years ago

Coffee,
    Persianas are the blinds, but they're built into the wall and are behind the window instead of mounting inside like we do here in the US. When you close them they block out ALL the light. Great for keeping the house cool on hot afternoons. I'd love to find a company that does them here in my area.

• coffeepoetry
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It does seem like what we have fits your description of a persiana. They are indeed useful.