SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancynancy_gw

Which sewing accessories are on your must have list?

nancynancy
18 years ago

I began sewing last month when my husband bought me a sewing machine for Christmas and in the past few weeks I've spent a small fortune on at all the other sewing accessories that can make sewing easier and more enjoyable.

Two days ago I found a tool box for $10 at Home Depot that's ideal for storing my rapidly expanding collection of sewing stuff. It's 12" by 18" and 4" deep and has adjustable compartments. Just perfect for setting up on my desk when I sew and stashing in my closet when I'm done for the day.

Right now I have my eye on two items: a lucite "quilting table" that completely surrounds the machine to give you 18" by 24" of flat bed work surface and an Ott Lite with a built in 2x magnifier. What's on your sewing accessories wish list?

Comments (14)

• grittymitts
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sharp scissors (small for clipping threads)
    Floating presser foot
    Glass head silk pins
    Lots of bobbins
    Rotary cutter w/ several blades (and the mat)
    Clear rulers to use w/cutter 'n mat
    Quilter's tape (I'm not a quilter but find many uses)
    Fray Block
    Good supply of different size needles (hand & machine)
    6" gauge
    Bodkins
    Probably more...but my mind's taken another vacation.

Suzi

• Related Discussions

central vac (HAH) must-have accessories?

Q

Comments (41)
    There are 2 different (gas pump style) handle types (at least) with 2 different mechanisms for adjusting air flow/leakage at the handle. Why I have 2 different ones I don't know. If you want maximum suction, there should be no leakage at the handle. There is a plastic piece to turn to change the leakage. I don't have the remote shut off. It was a little pricey and I figure I could add it later if I wanted. Wife hasn't requested it and I don't mind not having it. The only time I think about it is with the turbo cat since that is loud when it isn't on carpet so going from room to room (hardwood in between), it is a bit annoying. Otherwise, our motor is pretty isolated that just leaving it on is no problem.
    ...See More

Do you have a must do list.

Q

Comments (14)
    Most of mine entails seeing the world: Japan and finding my mom's family, Alaska, Scotland, are the big ones. I also want to go back to Italy some day, especially Rome and the southern part of the country, where I've never been. Alex didn't want to go to Japan, but I guess he was talking about it to another friend of his and his friend wants to go with us. Not sure if I'm taking anyone with me, though. Going to Hawaii this summer alone...it was on my dream sheet when I was in the Air Force and I'm finally going to see it.
    ...See More

Name your ten must have notions

Q

Comments (24)
    So far, with my limited experience, 1. ale (chilling, in the fridge, for when I get really frustrated!) 2. soothing music (to postpone the moment of frustration) 3. answering machine 4. seam ripper 5. pencil, paper, and calculator 6. measuring tape 7. scissors 8. magnetic needle holder & picker upper 9. needles clue (as in a having a clue about what I am trying to do & not changing my mind or losing track ten times midstream) I consider this list to be priceless, as #10 is hard to come by.
    ...See More

Must have list for 2017

Q

Comments (35)
    Thats what I hear Jo!!... Jeff at LOTG said he will have Viking Ship in next year's line up, so I am pretty excited about adding it finally... Understandably so, it was unavailable everywhere I looked this year. Fame Game is bred out of WI and is touted to be fairly stable (as streakers go)... from Northern Grown Perennials. I am so lucky to be in prime hosta real estate and have such awesome growers around me. It broke my heart that Foxfire closed years back.
    ...See More
  • glassquilt
    18 years ago

Something to mark fabric with. Remember that some are permently set if you iron over the marking.

Good needles - machine & hand

For hand sewing a thimble that works for me - I bought, tried & disgarded several

Quality scissors - dressmaker & small for thread that fit MY hand comfortably. I use Fiskars Softouch

A variety of straight pins AND a way to keep tract of which is which. After a while the ones without a fancy heads all look alike.

An iron, pressing surface(s). Flat for large pieces of fabric and wrinkled paper patterns. In the future: hams & rolls are good for when & if you start sewing clothing with the curved seams.

• loganhogan
    18 years ago

Seam ripper added to the list of others! I like the hook kind for denim and regular kind for seams out of cotton. I still want some of those glow in the dark pins.
    Susan

• keepeminstitches
    18 years ago

1) My small pewter Gingher embroidery scissors (very sharp point) that every time I use, I thank my stars for them. I like a stick-on plastic hook on the arm of my sewing machine to hold said scissors as well as my small curved embroidery scissors.

2) A bamboo skewer for getting things close to the needle and a bamboo point turner for poking out collar points.

3) An ugly purple and clear plastic sectioned box from JoAnn's that holds all my machine feet. The box has a top section and bottom section for other miscellaneous stuff. Love it (except for the color). (see Gallery)

4) A 1/4" patchwork machine foot and an edgestitch foot - priceless!

5) Just for grins and giggles, a rhinestone setter - a girl can never have enough glitz. And it's fun!

6) A chisel-type buttonhole cutter for goof-proof results.

7) A rubbery jar cover opener cut in half to help me unscrew the needles (every time I do a color change when machine embroidering, I tighten the needle, so by the time I'm done that needle is REALLY in there tightly). I just wrap the jar opener around the needle screw and viola!

I'm sure I'll think of others.

Mary L

• teresa_nc7
    18 years ago

A couple of heavy plastic tape measures. One to use and the other to tape down on your sewing table with clear packing tape, directly in front of your sewing machine. Saves lots of steps and time hunting the loose tape measure.

Plastic shoe box type storage boxes for projects. Keeps the pattern, fabric, notions, etc. for each project safely contained. Check the dollar stores or Big Lots for these.

"That Purple Thang" a small purple plastic tool for poking out collar points, pockets, etc. Worth every penny of whatever price it is now.

Marking chalk, colored pencils for marking (that will wash out) and the "Ultimate Marking Pencil for Quilters and Crafters" - an automatic-type pencil with extra lead.

• stitchntime9
    18 years ago

A few good, basic sewing text to refer to and the machine manual close by if I'm using a new machine or instructions if using a foot I have never used before.

I'm glad to see you have neat sewing habits and clean up at the end of the sewing session. I always have my paper or plastic grocery bag close to me to put scraps and thread snips in. Vacuum sweepers do not like thread tails and a royal pain to clean them out of the brush--less sewing time.

I started the same way as you at home with a clear plastic double tray sewing organizer as a teen christmas present I used until it fell apart. I started out with a cardboard shoe box for 7th grade home ec to put things in, mine fell apart, so got the plastic organizer for christmas..a definite upgrade.

I still have and use my Dritz hem gauge from 7th grade all the time...actually have a hissy if I can't find it quickly. I do have a newer one packed away as backup because my sister was using mine for 7th grade home ec. I did have to buy another thread ripper because I broke the original using it as a pry bar. I now use the one my sister bought for home ec., still just as sharp and try to keep it the loneliest tool I have along with the one tucked away as a spare...I hate to rip. Someone posted about not throwing out good stuff?

Good lighting is a necessity. I can recommend the Ott light. I have one and really like to use it for a lot of things requiring light or matching/comparing colors. I think it would be a good investment for your household because it is lighting for so many purposes beyond sewing. The same with quilting rulers...I also use those to measure to square things up along with the laser level I have.

While you are busy buying the niceties and the basic, it is also important to know how to use them correctly including a seam ripper and removing stitches..yep, we were taught and graded on that too.

A flat sewing table machine surround is nice and one of those things to buy later down the line...you have to learn hand and sewing machine techniques including using the free arm and the feet with the machine.

• teresa_nc7
    18 years ago

Stitchintime9,
    I'm so glad to see someone else treasures their original hem gauge that way I do. And yes, I have a back-up or two, but I don't treasure them the way I do that one from 8th grade home ec class.
    Teresa

• birdtalker
    18 years ago

I got along for years without any gadgets at all but then my husband bought me some really nice buttonhole scissors and those were my treasure for many years.

• colleenny
    18 years ago

A seam ripper and My old hem gauge which I have attached to my sewing machine with a long ribbon so that it doesn't "disappear", oh and a pair of good scissors that no on else is allowed to use.

• tuppermom
    18 years ago

A moustache trimmer! Yes you are seeing correctly. It is so much faster than a seam ripper. You just run the blade over the stiches you want to remove and voila it is done. It won't eat your fabric and you won't have holes at the beginning or end of the seam you "ripped" out.

Make sure you get a new one just for you and hide it from the men in your house!

Mary

• clairdo2
    18 years ago

Hubby made me this cone spool holder. I find it very handy especially to fill a bobbin. I know you can buy a gadget for this but why buy it when you can make it. The thread goes up into a screw eye and down to the machine.
    {{gwi:2063877}}
    {{gwi:2063878}}

• keepeminstitches
    18 years ago

That's cool! I use big 5000M spool of basic colors for some of my machine embroidery...they don't fit real well on my thread rack. HMMMM...wonder if hubby would be up to the challenge of making one like yours.

Mary

• nancynancy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just thought I'd give you an update on my experience with my ever expanding list of sewing accessories. Please note I'm a beginning home dec sewer wants professional results with sewing minimal skills so my needs will probably differ from yours. My budget isn't unlimited but I'm willing to pay extra for quality and convenience.

The 18" by 24" lucite flatbed sewing extension table -- Terrific, a must have for large scale home dec sewing. Worth every penny of the $75 I paid for it.

Stick on magnifiying glass -- I bought one but found it very awkward to use. I packed it up and put it away. If you need to do close work at your sewing machine, it's better to put on your dorky reading glasses.

Disappearing ink marking pens -- The ink disappeared two minutes after I applied it. If you live in humid climate like me, these are a terrible choice.

Pen style chalk markers -- Simply wonderful product. Lets you apply a narrow chalk line with ease and precision. It's light years beyond regular tailor's chalk. Well worth the extra cost.

Plastic pillow templates -- These plastic pattern guides are hard to find but worth tracking down. Quick and easy to use, the tapered edge template eliminates "rabbit ears." Lets you measure once and cut once without making stupid mistakes. Great for anyone who likes to sew throw pillows.

Glass head pins -- I know many people swear by glass head pins, but I absolutely hate them. The shafts are very thin and the tips are very sharp so I ended up with very painful, bleeding finger pricks. Sewing shouldn't be a "blood sport." Give me those yellow plastic head quilter's pins any day.

Rotary cutter with push button lock -- If you're going to buy a rotary cutter, make sure it has an easy to use push-button lock that you can operate with one finger. And train yourself to lock your cutter every time you put it down even for a moment. So far, I haven't had a single accident and I intend to keep it that way.

O-ring weights -- I'm so glad I spent the $12 on these weights. They're so handy, I've used them in countless ways on every sewing project. They're a definite must have if you're using a rotary cutter.

Spring loaded scissor snips -- The only way to cut straggler threads. The one I bought has a black plastic grip with a finger hole that's very easy to hold.

Creative Feet's Pearls and Piping foot -- I received this foot a few days ago. The manufacturer claims you can use it to make 1/6" to 1/4" piping. I've found it does a great job on 4/32" or 5/32" piping, producing a professional looking result with very little effort. But it can't handle anything larger so it's nice but not a must have.

Rotary cutting board -- The bigger, the better. My largest one is 25" by 25" (June Tailor, Wash Away 1/4" Wonder Tape -- Makes inserting a zipper a breeze. I couldn't sew without it.

Fabric glue stick -- I use it to position the covering fabric around my welting cord. Gives a very professional result. I ordered a dozen.

Teflon sewing foot -- I spent a small fortune on a special teflon piping foot for my Bernina so I could sew on slippery microsuede. Unfortunately, the foot can't ever touch the feeddogs or it will scrape the finish right off. The first time I used the foot, I got a small nick. Now I'm too scared to use it.

Bobbin buddies -- Little pink plastic thingies that fit around your spare bobbins to prevent thread from tangling. Worth every penny.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH