SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Consistency/Inconsistency vs. Thematic.

palimpsest
13 years ago

In the September issue of Traditional Home, which I flipped through, there is a large Hollywood Regency style home featured. The people who come to mind when you think of HR are people like Willaim Haines, James Mont, Karl Springer, Tony Duquette and, more recently, Kelly Wearstler. And, I tend to think "glitzy" when I think of HR style. This house is a bit different.

The outside is definitely a certain Hollywood type: vaguely colonial revival with painted brick and clapboard but stripped and deco-fied a bit.

But the inside is what I really noticed because there is a LOT going on, and yet in an overall, traditional, (expensive), modulated way--it all works together.

A lot of the millwork is Georgian: dentil mouldings, columned arches with keystones...but in the entryway the railing and chandelier are Italianate.

The dining room has an italianate chandelier, medallion and ceiling with Federal/Regency looking furniture.

The breakfast room has Zuber panoramic paper, so it reads "French", as does the treillage garden.

The living room has what I would consider an Irish ceiling and mantle piece, and Charles-of-London style upholstery, so I would say overall, English.

The library has waxed, (veering toward slight pickle) paneling. They took down wood paneling with the pickwick detailing and put up --wood paneling. One of those super expensive changes that almost ends up looking the same.

Anyway here is a house that has rooms that differ specifically from each other in style but because it was done with a careful hand, it doesn't look thematic--just "traditional".

Comments (5)