SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ambitiousbeginner

Attemping to Make Pinch Pleated Drapes

ambitiousbeginner
15 years ago

Hi All and Happy New Year,

First time in the sewing room. I am a pretty good seamstree when it comes to making clothes but I have never attempted to make any type of drapes because I have always has them done professionally through Calico Corner or JC Penney but now it is time to see if I can do this myself. It's getting rather pricey :-)

After looking at the pinch pleated silk drapes Calico Corner did for my family room it looks pretty simple.

Yesterday I went to Hancock Fabric and purchased the pleat tape..there were so many type I was confused as heck until the lady assisted me. I brougt 10 yards just in case I mess up :-).

I already had the fabric which is 54 inches wide. The fabric is on a roll and I am not sure of how many yards it is because I brought some years ago. My measurements for the window I will be sewing the drapes for is 81" wide (which includes the 4" on each side) so in reality the window is only 73" wide.

I will be placing my rod 7" above the top edge of the window so the length will be 86".

I am stuck here. Does anyone know of a website that is great for information and what the termonology mean. Prime example: what does fullness mean in drape terms? Is this related to the pleats? I found this website.... http://www.denverfabrics.com/pages/static/curtains/curtain-panel.htm

but not sure what this means (Multiply width by fullness factor (2-1/2" or 3).

Can someone please help. I know I can do this. How hard can this be. Oh, the drapes will be lined also.

Any suggestions of websites or any other information would be appreciated.

AmbitiousBeginner

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor