SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmqchdygg

Decor Ideas needed- design around new metal loft bed

mmqchdygg
14 years ago

OOO- Look! GW has a Home Decorating forum! Cool!

Ok, I'm over the initial excitement. Need some decorating tips, cuz I simply STINK at this.

We bought this for the 14 y/o who's just going into HS:

{{!gwi}}

The futon cushion on the chair is black, and the desktop is that generic tannish-laminate color.

The carpet in his bedroom is "Ink"- essentially midnight blue.

Currently the walls & trim are white; we never painted in there, so wall possibilities are endless.

The room gets some late afternoon sun, as it faces south, but is blocked by the jutting-out of the spare room next to it (it's a modular home, and the bedroom boxes are 40 and 46 feet long, with the extra 6 feet jutting out...here's a pic of it from inside, this pic taken at about 6am, so you can see how dark it is with that spare room blocking it, and the lighting situation (pardon the pheasant):

{{!gwi}}

ANYway...

I had several thoughts...DH is totally not liking them, but maybe I can work something else in here. His real issue is usually only that he can't visualize things:
Gray. Gray tab panel curtains, we already have black curtain rods. VERY light gray paint, leave trim white.

Same gray curtains, pale beige paint with one or two fat gray strips across the middle of the room (different tones of gray).

Contrasting walls: Either one contrasting light gray wall and the other 3 a (same-hue as the gray) light blue, or opposite walls gray and the other two light blue. Light Blue curtains (or no curtains), or replace white mini blinds with light blue ones (or gray), and no curtains. the light blue would NOT be a 'baby' blue, but a gray-toned blueish.

Black tab curtains and palest-beige walls, white trim

Have I lost anyone yet? Other ideas? I don't REALLY want to bring the dark colors up from the floor unless it's 'accent-only' like pillows or picture frames, but I did see the black-beige idea at bhg.com and it looked nice. I am leaning more towards beige walls, only because I think with the bed, it would be too much gray "all over," but the flip side of that, is that this pic up here HAS beige walls, and it's almost too sterile or commercial looking, so then I switch to the contrasting-walls idea.

Help.

Comments (22)