SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

wonderful cl antique bargain. not a chair; pic heavy!

My3dogs ME zone 5A
10 years ago

The photos aren't great, but this was first listed in June. I love antique pine, and this was an incredible bargain at the then price of $150. A week later, it dropped to $100! This first pic is from the CL ad. It needs to be dusted off and waxed, but I'm in love.

I took Monday off, and a friend with an SUV and I went to Ogunquit, ME to pick it up. It's now in MY garage and I hope to put it in my small entry porch, but I'll need to see if it will overwhelm the area. When I think of the display possibilities behind the wavy glass, and the storage below...swoon worthy!

The seller bought it many years ago at Antiques on 9 in Kennebunk, ME, and I have linked a story about that large shop below. It's German, approx. 1880's, she was told. Their home is magnificent, but they have recently re-modeled and changed their style, so no longer had a spot for this.

Closer view overall in my (messy) garage. The camera won't pick up the wavy glass. Maybe if there was more light shining in on it.

Detail of 'pillars' between top and bottom.

Bottom detail. Bun feet on front and square in back.

Inside bottom door detail. Both top and bottom doors lock; I have the key.

Upper door hardware

Drawer hardware. Hardware is brass, although a bit dusty.

Hand cut dovetails in drawers

Unusual painted (stenciled?)design on upper back side

Painted design on lower back side

She said that she was going to take these ash chairs made by Donie Chair Co in Brownsville, TX to the dump, and asked me if I wanted them. The label under the seat says they were made there on April 6, 1993. They are in perfect condition.
Look closely and you'll see the bow design incised into the back supports.

Here is a link that might be useful: ANTIQUES ON NINE : KENNEBUNK SHOPPING

Comments (41)