SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob08889

Andersen French Door Latch Problem

Bob08889
11 years ago

I have a 2 panel (active/passive) Andersen french door (outswing). Previously I was able to close the door by pushing the active door (the one with the latch) toward the fixed passive door. The latch caught the strike plate nicely and the door closed without having to engage the 3-point lock. Now the door bounces off the passive door and will not engage (though it will still lock if the 3-point lock is engaged). The doors are square and level. The issue it that there is some amount of play in the lock mechanism which allows the door handle to droop somewhat and pull the latch from 100% extended (where it will catch) to 75% extended (were it does not engage the strike plate). Anyone kow how to make an adjustment to get the latch back to 100% extended. I also note that the handle feel is not tight/firm (like a German car door) and is more floppy/loose (like an old AMC Hornet). There's got to be a solution short of replacing the lock mechanism (part of a $190 single piece unit). Ideas? Thanks.

Comments (24)