SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nataliechantal

My first ever post, thanks to total kitchen remodel!

NatalieChantal
12 years ago

Hi, my name is Natalie and I have been lurking here for a couple years now, dreaming of the time when I could re-do my kitchen. That time is now at hand and I am realizing how unprepared I feel despite all my research! I do have a GC, who has a "design team" (who also happen to be good acquaintance/friends), and I have countertops and backsplash and appliances picked out. But this is a bit overwhelming. We are gutting our current kitchen, turning it into a mudroom/laundry room/entry (it's the room you walk into as you enter our home), and moving the kitchen straight back into the current dining room, which is a big rectangle which is presently only half-used. Hence, the kitchen will fill that other half and will end up being about 15ft x 12ft. But this implies a lot of changes and construction and I am afraid of failing to think of key elements because of this, I have spent my energy coming up with a layout (which took me MONTHS) and choices in materials and colors.

The difficulty is that not only am I planning the kitchen, I am also, of course, having to plan the mudroom entry and in such a way that it harmonizes with the new kitchen. There is no dividing wall - although I am putting in a dividing counter - so they do have to flow together. And did I mention that my home is log, which complicates quite a few aspects of this process?

So for now, after this introduction, may I humbly ask you all for advice and guidance through this process in the hope that you will help point out the things I should be paying attention to, and what pitfalls to avoid? I'd be glad to give more details on my actual selections as I am totally obsessing about them, and also start off with my very first question: since I am working on both my mudroom and my kitchen and they must "go" together, may I ask for feedback on both, or will you insist that I visit the laundry forum for the mudroom and stay here for the kitchen part?

Thanks for reading this far and I am looking forward to sharing my ideas with you and hearing your feedback!

Comments (13)