SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

CL Bedroom set...

User
14 years ago

I saw this furniture on my CL this morning. It was posted Monday. We currently are using the double bed and bedroom set I grew up with. (notice you saw a pic of my bedroom! :) ) We were planning on buying something new closer to Christmas.

I wouldn't buy a used bed but wouldn't have a problem with the rest of the furniture.

Does it look dated to you? Whatever we end up with we plan on keeping for a LONG time.

I emailed them asking dimensions, maker, and age. I am concerned about the size of the long dresser.

I'll admit with our state budget not passing (state workers not getting paychecks) now isn't the bed time financially to be finding this but we could swing it if need be.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

Comments (73)

• graywings123
    14 years ago

I wonder what happened to the second nightstand? Nowadays, places like Room Store only sell one nightstand with a bedroom grouping, but you would think an older couple buying "the good stuff" would have gotten two nightstands.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good thinking about the pulls on the nightstand.

The big dresser would stand by itself on that wall. It would probably need to be not quite centered because of the light switch. I don't know how big the mirror is.

There is a spot for the other dresser. I can't bring myself to post pics of the room! When you're standing at the door.... walk in and there's a bathroom on the left, then wall space (this is where DH's tall dresser would go) then the closet. Large window on that wall. End of bed would be facing his new dresser. The larger dresser would be to the right when you walk in the room. That was probably confusing. .

Still didn't hear from her.

• Related Discussions

1930's Sears Roebuck Bedroom Set

Q

Comments (3)
    I am a 30s afficienado..........that furniture just plunks my magic twanger. It has been so undervalued on the market, but is starting to come into its own and I believe it shall continue to increase in value .........although one can't say it's scarce to come by. So many pieces are now becoming available from estates of folks who wed in that era and are now passing away. It can sometimes be found on CL by folks who are cleaning out basements or come by it in inheritance and can't wait to get rid of it. Now is the time to BUY! LOL The refinishing may have some impact on value to the purist, especially depending on how well it was done since so many pieces of that era were partially veneered. Since calling it antique is still a stretch, what one would be offered for it is all over the board, depending on the right buyer. Doesn't sound like you're planning to sell so that's not an issue. Just enjoy it.........and hope your kin after you want it. I passed a set similar on to my step-daughter whom I know would appreciate it for the family connection to her g'mother. I now ask my kids what pieces they fancy, because some I cherish, I'd hate to see be sold immediately. If they're not wanted, I'll sell them myself. LOL.
    ...See More

I think I have decided on a master bedroom set. WDYT?

Q

Comments (44)
    Lauren, Thanks for posting again. I understand since I get so busy myself and I am glad we all helped you giving you insight and finding out that the furniture you like at least is made in the USA and is very beautiful. When you have time, please update up and if you buy the set, pictures please. Remember to measure your room and areas that have vents and windows and see how each peace of furniture will fit in your room. I wish my room was bigger since I really wanted a wooden bed with a headboard and foot board and a triple dresser but these pieces would not fit into my bedroom space. When I have time, I also will take updated pictures of my beautiful bedroom since the accessories of the right lamps (went with crystal), blind and curtains really changed the look of my room making me love my bedroom's peaceful retreat space.
    ...See More

Ethan Allen Bedroom Set Worth?

Q

Comments (21)
    Yeah, I can finally see the pictures today! I'm impressed, these pieces look to be in very nice condition. As a buyer the thing that I would look for is a close-up shot of the table top of the dresser and night stands. That's usually where the worst of the wear happens, scratches on top where people have set things on over the years. Do you have a fill stick for the dings? Those work really well and a furniture stain pen in the right color will make scratches less visible. The armoire has a beautiful patina to it, like you've taken care of it by not letting it dry out. An application of Guardsman furniture polish will bring luster back to duller areas. Even though this is an older suite it looks better than some of the stuff I've seen on CL only a few years old. I think it will generate a lot of interest because the style doesn't date itself. It's a good thing when you look at it and can't tell what decade it was made in. Do you think I'm wrong to guess it's from the 1970s? I only say that because it reminds me of a bookcase my mother had and a chest of drawers belonging to my grandmother, both had a similar "pecan finish" as they used to call it. I agree with what the others have said, start high on this set and see if there is any activity. You know you've gone too high when no one emails you and are in the ballpark when the emails start flooding in. Then you just have to pick out the serious buyer from the wannabees. Ignore the low-ballers, I swear these people troll the listing looking for deperate sellers so they email everyone. I always get my price not theirs if I'm willing to hold out a few weeks for the right person to look on CL that day. Here's a tip to keeping the new furniture in better condition. I buy furniture felt at the hardware store and cut it to fit around the vacuum cleaner. That way if the machine hits a piece of furniture the pad protects it from the hard plastic that normall you put a dint into the wood. They sell it on the isle with all the packages of furniture protectors. Because the area is large I buy the rectangular sheet that is 1/4" thick and cut it to the right shape. It has a sticky back so it adheres to the vacuum cleaner. I swear this works like a charm and none of the legs on my furniture have any marks on them since I started doing this a decade ago.
    ...See More

Hate my bedroom set

Q

Comments (42)
    I don't have a problem with beds in front of windows -- I've had two bedrooms with windows on two or even three walls plus closet and hall doors on the third. Putting the bed on the only full wall meant you would be walking right into it from the hall, so I set it in front of and between windows -- actually really liked both those rooms. You can deal with the chill by using an insulating window cover, but the AC would require a different solution. Is that the only window? There are freestanding AC units that vent out a window. We used one when our AC was out. I don't know how they would be for more regular use. You might want to consider no headboard in this room and get the headboard or new bed when you have the room for it. Use a fabric or paint treatment to define the area without taking up and room space -- or just add definition on either side of the bed.
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We finally talked. I'm going to look at it tomorrow at 11. She says she's had a bunch of calls about it and she just wants it gone. Said if I want it it's mine. If all goes well we're going to pick it up Friday night. She said she has a son that will help load so we don't need to bring anyone else.

I'm a little nervous to go look by myself. I usually drag my one coworker on all my CL adventures but she's on vacation. I might see if someone else will go with me. She seems nice and perfectly fine but ...

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

..... you really should take someone with you Sharee.

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

That's a very nice set and a good price. I purchased a similar dresser and highboy for my 20 yr old daughter's room, and she loves it. They would look very nice with an iron bed.

Good luck!

• sitaram
    14 years ago

SportsKids.com store offering Sporting goods, Bedding, Clothing, Sports Camps & Leagues directory, Kids Online Games and more. Sports stuff for kids and families with huge discounts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sports Kids Bedding,Kid Clothing,Furniture

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm starting to freak out now just because this is something I'm going to need to make a fast decision on or it won't be there. Still am pretty sure I want it but the following keeps jumping into my head.

Long dresser - Once against the wall there will be 20" total left (22ish with trim). It just seems larger than most dressers?

Tall dresser - Is only 4' tall. That's not very tall. Is this a normal size?? Standing at the doorway you'll see that. My long dresser is to the right, against the wall so you wouldn't see unless in the room.

The finish looks pretty shiny. If I bought a wood head/foot board later would the cherry need to be shiny as well?

Maybe going with an iron would be better....

DH isn't wild about the hardware. BUT I could always paint it or change it out.

Nightstand - Seems short to me also. Should they be the same height as the bed, a little taller, shorter? DH says he doesn't need one. I don't believe he does but visually I think it will look unfinished to not have another table there.

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

Hey Shee!
    I certainly can't tell ya yay or nay on this but it is worth a look! The price is great for a classic looking set. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I would think if it were made in the 80's you have a good chance of it being made in USA instead of China like a $250 dresser you would find in a store today.

I love to see an upholstered headboard with alot of wood pieces in a bedroom, too. You can also use the nightstand in a guest bedroom - if you wanted a taller bed and use bachelors chest for your own bed.

0000 Steel wool & Restore a Finish would probably do wonders for those pieces - I was amazed what it did for my DR table.

Good luck!

Smiles:)

• parma42
    14 years ago

"Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I would think if it were made in the 80's you have a good chance of it being made in USA instead of China like a $250 dresser you would find in a store today."

Oh, yeah. And, the cheap dresser you'd find in the store today, would be more like $750 (and the drawers wouldn't pull all the way out). The ones going for $2,000 still have a good chance of being made in China. Drexel Heritage, Thomasville and a slew of others are importing their casegoods now.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

SCORE!

I ended up going by myself. Everyone had meetings and stuff to go to. Said a prayer and off I went. I was about half sick this morning worrying about going over myself and if I really wanted it blah, blah. Remember awhile back the CL incident where the lady murdered the lady coming to pick up "baby clothes"? I kept picturing that wacko on the ride over.

I immediately felt relief when she opened the door. She was nice and normal.

Ok now to the furniture.

It was so much nicer IRL than those pictures! All the hardware is on, the dinks that appeared above didn't seem to be there... or weren't noticeable. It has this nice detailing on it. She said the tall dresser was 4'.. no, no, no. I'm 5'1" and it's taller than me. I couldn't see in the top drawer.

Found the maker. Basset.

She did ask if I had the money. I didn't think about it and no, I didn't have it. She looked disappointed and said how she has a bunch of other people that want it. I explained my husband was pulling the money out of the savings today. Our checking account isn't exactly big at the moment and the bank was closed for him to pull from the savings last night. She said I seemed like a responsible person who would keep my word............

The time got bumped up. I'm actually leaving work a little early. DH is going to have to leave work early now too. Please pray she keeps it because if we get there and it's sold.............. Oh, oh my.

It may not be antique but I think it's really nice looking and for $250! After seeing it I wouldn't dare offer her less.

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

Great! I think it is certainly worth that price.

• parma42
    14 years ago

Shee, I saw your question on scooby's post.

While Bassett furniture isn't considered high end, now, it made very nice furniture back in the 80's.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Oh I hope you got it!

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well since I panicked and we upped the time I didn't take into consideration how long DH would need to get home and drive back down. He's going to have to leave an hour early. He has in the past and it hasn't been a problem. Well tomorrow is Friday and there's more going on etc and so forth that I wasn't aware of. I really don't want to call her and change the time again. So basically if worse comes to worse it will be an hour later. DH said I could just drive over with the money awhile but what would I do then? I don't want to leave the money there and kill time for the rest of the hour! Any suggestions if that happens? I don't even know if she'll be there at 4. She had said she works until 5. Her hours may vary from day to day. Said he son would be there to help load. . . .

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

Shee,
    You could always ask her if they have the second nighttable somewhere. She did not even have the right measurements so maybe she is just a bit flaky and has the nighttable in another room and forgot about it. Won't hurt to ask.
    Congrats on a nice buy.

• ctlane
    14 years ago

Did you get it? I hope so.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OMG we're to pick it up in two hours and it's freakin raining. Raining, raining, raining..........

We have a good hour drive home once it's loaded. I though the trailer we're using had a top and it doesn't. DH is going to bring a tarp... My work has a big covered trailer and we could borrow one of the company trucks but I don't think DH feels comfortable driving it. We're going to be driving on a busy highway on a busy Friday night! :(

I don't want to wait til another day to get it. I was already nervous about her holding it.

Alisha - who's having a fit

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Shee, put some plastic over the tarp, too.

Good luck and hope it stops raining for you!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

You can get plastic drop cloths at HD.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's a new day. Yesterday turned out to be a long one.

DH ended up not bringing the trailer so he just had the truck. The neighbor and him didn't think we needed it. . .

It was still raining, traffic, there was an accident so that slowed us down. The rain held off while we loaded it. We used a tarp to cover. The lady's son that was to be there to help "went to a friend's house". So it was just us three. The stuff is heavy. Went to leave and I realized she didn't give me the mirror (the one she took out of the frame and made a point to say she didn't use the mirror with it.) When she brought it out, there was purple marker on it from one of the kids but I could wipe it off. I also noticed there was a circular smash mark down farther along the side. I shouldn't said something, I shouldn't of even taken it. We're not going to use it.

At that point we were out of room on the truck and in my car. I told DH to put the mirror in the bed between the dressers with a blanket. He stuffed it beside him in the front seat.

We start driving down the road and I get a call with him saying he can't see anything on the right side! (Except out his passenger window.) It's raining now, more traffic and we're on a busy highway. It was horrible. Once managed to get on the main route home we just stayed in the right hand lane.

I then get a phone call from him saying the mirror moved and is scratching the heck out of the nightstand in the passenger seat. (I also had told him to wrap a blanket around it. He didn't. I didn't bother to check how it was situated) It was digging in his side, why did we bring it anyhow, blah, blah and it also just poked three holes in the ceilings of our neighbor's truck!!

We finally got home and got it unloaded. Neighbor wasn't home when we returned his truck. We're going to pay to fix his ceiling. I feel awful about that. DH works today so I it's not noticed until DH gets home and we tell him. It's his older, 2nd truck. Not the new everyday one thankfully.

DH doesn't care for the set. So I was actually pretty bummed by his reaction to it. Said it looks like something his grandma would have. Before we left he said about the marks and dings. If I take a mirror and look at my face close outside it looks different than if I'll take that same mirror inside. Ya know? It's not bad. After we got it in the room he said it was ok, as long as I like it, at least we have more room for our clothes. He saw the pictures of it! I think it was just everything else . . today may be a new reaction.

I like it. I think once we get a bed and paint on the walls it will look nice and DH will like it more. The room is a disaster right now but I'll be sure to post some pics sometime this weekend of the room.

As always, thank for all your help!

• funkyart
    14 years ago

Boy, yesterday really was a horrible time to try to move something in a truck. I am sorry it was such a stressful drive up the river. Hopefully by this evening you can chuckle about it!

I think if you clean and spark up the finish on the dressers you will make a world of difference! Pick up some of the RAF and prepare to wow your DH..

(Of course it is GORGEOUS today-- doesnt it just figure???)

• dana1079
    14 years ago

sounds like you had a nice little CL adventure! Can't wait to see the set in your room! I'm sure it will be beautiful.

I'm sure most of us who have bought things off CL have had an adventure...it's fun to laugh over later. We bought a dining room set at a steal off CL and only took the truck. Luckily my boyfriend's truck is one of the larger new tundra's. We fit the upper and lower portion of a china cabinet, plus the table, and 4 chairs, 2 arm chairs all in the truck. It was an interesting ride home 2 hours with my knees in the dash b/c we put the bottom portion in the back seat area!

Also when we purchased a stainless fridge and stove, not off CL, but when taking them home, my boyfriend complained that I was driving too slow on the interstate...so I went faster. The tow straps on the fridge slipped and it landed on top of the stove! Didn't break the glass top of the stove, but it did put a ding in it and a small one in the fridge.

Talk about freaking out, try having a large fridge fall when driving down the interstate with semis all around!

My first thought was that it had hit the truck and i was DEAD! He would have killed me over that one!

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

Geeze--- what a tale! I am glad you made it home safely! I am sure it is going to look great when you have everything settled in!

My plan, next time I have to move something big, is to rent a truck from Home Depot for $20/hour. We have a Honda CR-V (a mini SUV) and a minivan that is very hard to remove the seats and not worth the hassle. I can get a lot in that little CR-V but when I can't . . .it'll be a rental!

Hope the ceiling is a cheap fix!!!!!!!

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Funky - Yes it was so nice today! I think I am going to try some RAF and see.

Dana - I got a chuckle out of your story. That would be bad with the fridge! I'm still not laughing about mine yet but in time . . .

Anele - I always forget about Home Depot trucks. Unfortunately where I live and the closest HD is over an hour away. Most of the CL purchases I make are where the HD is! We do need a truck. Haven't been able to get in touch with the neighbor yet. They've been away. I'd like to tell them before they see it! Just told DH to call again. I don't really want to leave the message on the machine either.

I'm unsure now if I like it! I'm concerned about matching the bed. I would like wood. What if the color is off? It's not in as spiffy of shape as I remembered it to be when I looked at it Thursday. Once I get excited about something it's all over. I saw a flawless set. DH keeps saying it's not very nice. I still say it has to be better made than the store stuff now days! ? The stamps do say Basset Made in USA. Drawers are dovetailed, glide easily, no binding, on a center wood glide on bottom not cheap metal side rails. There is a dust cover under the drawers (so when you pull out top drawer you see plywood with a glide below, not the contents of lower drawer)

Well here tis. What do you honestly think about it in the room and just in general?

NOTE: Bed WILL GO, curtains will be changed out and raised up. Walls will be painted a gold color, bedding is going, lamps are going. Jewelry armoire will go in the closet. Obnoxious blue mag. rack will be painted. We do need to do something about a night stand for him because we discovered he should have one. Kitty canopy bed stays because Gizzy Girl actually uses it! :)

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

I think it's a really pretty set-- and it's not even my style! I think you made the right choice, and REMEMBER, if you hate it, you DID get a good price and you could resell. But, I don't think you made a mistake at all.

I wouldn't worry about the wood matching the bed exactly. As long as it is a similar style and roughly the same color, it will look great. I had the same worry-- antique queen beds don't exist, so when I got my bed (it's about 20 years old, an oak sleigh bed) I wondered how I'd match it. Eventually I found some pieces that I think look great together-- the styles work together and they are all about the same tone. They do NOT match exactly, but who cares? I don't think it's about matching, I think it's about making things work together.

I'll see if I can post some pics tomorrow to show you.

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

Shee,
    I think yyou did great on that set. I like it alot and the highboy is gorgeous. Tou would pay 3 times that alone for just the highboy today and not made half as well.
    Don't second guess yourself. Its truly a beautiful set.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Your husband will love the furniture once you finish the room.

• funkyart
    14 years ago

You know what I think is bugging you? You now have a rich warm wood in a very cold and austere room. You will see SUCH a difference when you paint the walls and update your window treatments. The dressers are in stark contrast to the walls right now.

If you aren't ready to paint the walls just yet, consider adding a throw rug and some artwork to help warm up the room and ground the woods. I think small changes are going to make big differences now.

And seriously, if you are questioning the quality, take a trip to Wolf's or Ashley's and check out what they are offering in the way of dressers. Open the drawers, feel their weight and the chintzy drawer glides.

I think they will work great for you

• cat_tail
    14 years ago

The beauty of the wood & hardware on these & the classic style just took my breath away, truly. I thought funkyart made some great points- after reading her post I looked back at your picture and imagined the furniture against the walls of your hallway-- wow. It'll look gorgeous when you paint.

• deborahnj
    14 years ago

She, take a look at this. I think you got an excellent deal. This is posted on the Cincinnati CL and is also a Bassett set.

Here is a link that might be useful: 5 Piece Bedroom Set

• oceanna
    14 years ago

I really like what you got. It's beautiful. I agree with Funkyart you'll feel differently after you get some color on your walls. Good luck on finding the bed you want and a nightstand for DH.

I don't know what color gold you're choosing for the walls but I read what you said about your curtains will go and need to be moved up and thought it would be inexpensive to simply add a contrasting band to the bottom of the new ones. I love how that got popular because it gives us more options.

I think you're well on your way to a very exciting and pretty re-do!

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone. I do think paint will make a big difference! I'm thinking maybe come Sept. I'll tackle that. I'm not much for being inside when the weather's nice.

Is Basset the same as Vaughn Basset?

I am going to take a trip to a furniture store this week to check out how the dressers are made. That should help me feel better also.

Oceanna - I have considered doing that at the bottom of the curtains. I'm not a super sewer but I know my aunt would help me if need be. I also hate to ditch the drapes totally because they're only a year old and I paid over $200 for them. Some may think that's cheap for curtains but it's still $200 to me. We had just moved in and I just bought something quick because I couldn't handle looking at a blanket taped to the wall. :) Another silly and spendy mistake.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

Shee: $200 would be a lot to me, too. I made a similar mistake when we moved in because I wanted something up. I got wood blinds and now feel they just add too many angles/not enough softness to the room. I feel like a fool for having bought them . . .they were not a lot to some people, but a LOT to us (one of the biggest things we spent $ on). They taught me that, most of the time it is really better to wait before spending.

I just sold my buffet, and used that $ for WTs. A new buffet is going to have to wait, but that's OK because I still don't know how to rearrange the room. Anyway, though I did spend $ on lace sheers, I got a VERY good deal on Fabric.com and, though I do not sew, am going to make my own panels. It was 3.95/yd . . .for less than $60 I got enough to make WTs for my LR and hallway. It is good fabric, too-- one of the fabrics is Ralph Lauren fabric. So, that may be an option for you to explore. You might want to even decide on that BEFORE you get the paint, because I think it's easier to start with fabric and then get paint vs. the other way around.

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

Shee,
    It looks beautiful!! It sounds like you went thru alot to get it in your house!! Me thinks it is gorgeous, classic furniture that you and DH!! will enjoy for many years.

My mind is spinnin' like crazy with ideas on how you can decorate your bedroom using what you already have and not spend alot of money!! Your bedding & drapes are both very pretty! ($200 is alot to me, too) Just a little paint, some coordinating fabric, a few lamps & a yard sale or two - stitch witch & trim - foam & a staple gun (looks like your current headboard would be a great upholstered??) - gosh, I wish I lived near you - we could make a day of it!!

Okay, way too many !! - isn't that annoying....but I am excited for you. (!)

Smiles:)

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Anele - I don't konw how I missed this! Another fool here. :) Those curtains were up by the second night we slept in the house! I tried to get something "neutral". I do believe I'm going to sew some coordinating fabric along the bottoms. I just can't see getting rid of them. I know I could always try and sell them on ebay but you never get what you paid for. I also did the same thing with my first LR curtains. That was such a mess. Did you ever see the "before" pics? *Shutter*. I didn't know anything about window treatments and bought one skimpy panel and valance for each side of the 100" wide window. Can you imagine the look on my face when I tried to hang them? I managed to find more valances and panels at Linens and Things but never gave thought to the weight of the drapes, the color with everything else in the room etc. Such a waste of money. And I was sooo proud of my purchases at the time and bragged about my savings to DH and family! There's been many things in this house that ended up buying twice because of poor planning on my part.

Scoob - Thanks! I think once I get some paint on the walls DH will admit he likes it. :)

I never thought about upholstering my "current" headboard! I wish you lived near me too! I can read about stuff until I'm practically cross eyed but until someone shows me the words seem to bounce off my head. I'm also itching to put picture frame moulding somewhere. I keep thinking foyer since my DR isn't formal.

1. reupholster the DR chairs
    2. get corbels for island
    3. window treatments on patio doors
    4. stain/paint the stairs (maybe)
    5. picture frame moulding
    6. paint the rest of the house
    7. find fabric for the bathroom
    8. paint front door
    9. new chandy for foyer

1. I need some art!
    2. there's more but I'll stop here! Notice I didn't even start with the outside.
  • justgotabme
    14 years ago

I've an idea for slipcovering your current bed and raising it too. You'd have to do some painting first for my idea to really work though. Wanna hear? Because it would take more time to do than upholstering it. Kinda...maybe, it would.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

shee: No, you are right, you will never get back what you've spent for the most part. That is why I am trying to buy almost EVERYTHING used that can be bought used for decorating now. I wish I had done that from the beginning!!!! (I have also made the mistake of thinking I could get two normal size panels for windows that are 114 inches!)

But, do you have to pay for (keep) your mistakes for forever? I guess it depends-- if adding the fabric to the bottom does the trick, go with it. (I think they are very pretty as-is!). However, I think that paint color and window treatments change a room more than just about everything. When I said goodbye to my wood blinds last week, it was hard to say goodbye to the money I originally spent, but the room could never be close to my vision with them up. And, since like I said, I am selling my stuff and getting my new (used) furniture at bargain prices, I had left over money for the curtains . . .so it helps with the guilt.

I am not saying you should get new WTs by any means-- but if you fall in love with a gold paint and they just don't work, maybe you could move them to another room in the house? Like I said, you can get very good deals on fabric and make some yourself IF it is an issue.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Justgottobeme- I'm game let's hear it!

Anele - Yeah the gold wall color might look bad with those curtains. They're more of a champagne color. If need be I'll eat the money. I'm going to wait to buy anything else until I get some type of plan together!

• milkmaid
    14 years ago

I like the furniture and am betting when you get the rest of your room pulled together, you will totally be happy with it. It does not speak dated to me, at all.

About your curtains, instead of adding the band on the bottom, I've added to the middle...lower middle, not exact, of my tab tops in my dining room. LOVE it, easy to do and it looks more custom made than "ooops, I gotta fix the bottom of this"

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Well, it's nothing that we haven't seen on chairs and I did find a headboard done similar to what popped into my head......
    {{!gwi}}
    I'm sure I could have drawn one in the time it took me to find this one but I think a photo is better than a drawing. If you can take a straight on picture of your headboard I'll "draw" on it exactly what's in my head.

Since your bed is white I'd recommend using Liquid Sandpaper then painting in a color the undertone of the wood on your new bedroom set. Once that's dry go over it with a dry brush (that's when you lightly load your brush with paint and wipe most off on papertowels) the darker tone of the wood over it. Since so little of your headboard will show it will similate real wood. I'd check Lowes unfinished smaller finials to screw onto the posts for added charm.

• funkyart
    14 years ago

Just-- I LOVE that slipcover on the bed. In fact, I'd love to do that in my guest room. I am not sure it is formal enough for Shee's room but I think you are on the right track with an upholstered headboard.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

Mmmm, Just! Love the room! So welcoming!

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Justgottobeme - I really like that photo. I can't picture my headboard turning into something fabulous though .

I'm on the fence as far as what I want to do about bedding. I'm very attracted to reds, greens, gold, blacks so I'm not sure why I bought blue bedding. Especially when they had the exact same one in red. Duh. I ordered it off ebay and am not thrilled with how it's made. I think it's pretty flimsy but what bugs me the most are the stitched lines. You can see in the pics they're in the middle of the pattern. That being said, I have though about doing something more simple and comfy looking. It's almost like I don't know how though! I've always had matching "bed in a bag"s.

Here's two pics of the headboard. It was interesting trying to keep the cats off this morning while making it! I left all the pretty pillows off. Whatever bedding I go with I'll use more variety of fabrics for pillows.

Here's my stark white, not so pretty headboard!
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Shee - you are obviously talented, good with your hands, and willing to try new things. It's time for you to get a sewing machine. I'm seeing you make a duvet cover and use the same fabric to extend the drapes. I would raise the curtain rod and then add maybe a 20 inch band at the top of the drapes.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Graywings - I have one! I made two pillows (one is acutally that small gold pillow pictured above) and my kitchen valance so far! :) I'm pretty sure my aunt would come over and help me.

BTW I would like to go to white sheets. The gold/tan ones were given to me and they work ok with that bedding.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Here you go. I raised the headboard to give it more ooomph, added finials to the posts and one of those sticky type moldings to the center to help it fit the style of your "new" furniture. The molding can be found at Lowes in their millwork dept.
    {{!gwi}}

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Oops, forgot the one tie on the right post. Here's one all finished....
    {{!gwi}}

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

Alisha, just wanted to say that I love the new pieces and am so glad you were able to get them - "adventure" though it turned out to be! I just know your room is going to be stunning once it all comes together.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Justgottobeme - Oh wow, that doesn't even look like the same bed. Thanks for doing that!

Those finial things on the sides, would you screw them in? Not glue right? What about the cool thing in the middle? How does that get attached? I think they're normally pretty thin.

For the cushion would it just be like making a large pillow? Using fluffy fill or batting? Wouldn't it get squished? I make a point to not sleep against the headboard but DH is another story. Then sewing some tie things on? I could handle that.

As far as raising it up, I don't know how I would do that. Both the head and footboard are on wheels and there's currently slats that the bed frame rest in? I don't think the legs would touch the ground. I'd almost have to get some wood and make them longer. That could end up looking like a real botch job. :)

I know DH has his heart set on a wood bed and deep down I want something "new" (used is fine but new to me). Plus we'd like to get a queen. I could try this for now and if we decide to go with wood I could use this in one of the spare rooms.

AuntJen - Thank you! I wasn't going to focus on this room yet but now I'm excited and ready to go! It will be also nice when it's done because you can see the room (unless the door is closed) from the main bathroom entrance. I would like to have a home where all doors can stay open and look nice for company to see 98% of the time.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

I'm glad you like it Alisha. The finials to screw in. They are actually made for curtain rods, but I use them for many other things. Lowes carries them unfinished for a great deal. They have two sized and a couple different styles. The "thing" in the center I've also seen at Lowes. They are flexable and, if I remember right, you wet them and mold them onto whatever and they stick.
    I was thinking just a bit of batting to give the slip some body, but you could always box the front and add foam. If you have some extra egg crate mattress toppers you can fit the bumpy sides together instead of buying foam.
    Now if hubby really wants a wood headboard, I'd keep searching CL and local thrift stores. It would be much easier to buy another one than try to raise this. And it may not be doable depending on if the parts where the frame attaches is removable or not. I didn't think about that part. Duh! Trying to do to many things at once here today. Owen (DGS) and Alex (DS) are both here today. Not to mention I'm rearranging furniture to make room for my sewing table and have no clue for sure what I want to do yet. If I did it would have been done Friday night!