SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pearl_manwani

Renovation = rip off

Newyorking
14 years ago

This post is for venting...

I live in Manhattan, so obviously I am overpaying for my renovation. For every which way I turn, I am getting ripped off and am sick and tired of paying people off. I had no idea I would have to spend so much, and I am not even counting renovation costs which I accounted for.

Old architect (old bat): My old incompetent architect charged me by the hour and prepared plans which pretty much were as good as throwing them out of the window. Mistakes, mistakes, mistakes. No ideas, no understanding of what my aesthetic is. When I decided to involve her in interior ideas, she kept recommending things I did not like, and kept saying "but why don't you like this, its so different". She also has no clue about pricing. She helps me pick a tile. When I ask her the price, she says "don't worry, its porcelain and will not be more than $2 per sq. ft.". This is my first renovation and even I know that porcelain tile prices vary and can range from $1.5 to $50+. Tile 1 she recommended was $13.50, tiles 2 & 3 were over $20. I met a designer friend who renovated two years back and realized how little I was getting for my $$$$$ (yes I paid the damn woman in five figures).

New architect: Nice, competent, like her ideas, has tons of good ideas. BUT I filed my plans with the old one, so changes would have to be with the old. New architect prepares plans, I send to old bat/architect who incorporates and we re-file. The old bat still makes mistakes, big ones.

Old architect sends bill.

This is not all. Old architect's bill includes messenger services. Cost for each messenger to deliver large version of plans in-person is around $200. Plans are delivered to us and contractor. We don't ask for messenger - we are simple people, we take the subway like every normal person in NYC to drop stuff off. So she delivers through a messenger 3 times and its $600. Once she delivered the wrong plans (I am not sure if she charged us for this).

Building architect: This guy has to approve plans for the building. We get a bill for $3,500 and are knocked off. The guy charges $250 per hour, but the building hired him. $3,500 for what? Both the old bat above and this architect miss key information in the building. After demo we have to change the entire plan (new architect prepares new plans, building architect inspects and brings engineer, old bat incorporates). The building architect charges us for toll, parking, etc. like we are a corporation and need to reimburse his expenses. WTH? My husband and I would never drive to and park in the city, and we have to pay these guys for toll, parking, etc.? Don't they commute to the city for work?

We dispute additional charges with old bat because she made mistakes and missed key info. She says she could not have gotten the info without demo, which is not true. She says if we don't pay that week she will prevent new plans from being re-filed.

Certified architect: The old bat screwed us big time. She is not a certified architect, so we have to pay $1.2K+ to someone else to sign and stamp. We had no idea about the certified architect thing.

Expediter: Never responds to phones and emails. She doesn't even know my name - even though the old bat recommended her, she put the old bat's first name and my last name on the invoice. DH said "send it to the old bat to pay, since its addressed to her".

So here we are paying all these vultures one by one, and bleeding dry. I will never ever ever again take up another renovation project, at least not in Manhattan. I haven't yet gotten into the renovation costs, but at least I am getting something out of those costs. All of the above costs except for new architect are sunk costs.

Moral of the story - please please choose your architect carefully. One wrong step and as you can see we had to incur $$$$$. Had we met our new architect earlier who is certified BTW, we would have avoided paying hefty fees for stamping and inspection, her charges are not as high as old bat's, and she is WAY WAY more competent and creative.

Next step for me -- write negative reviews about the old bat's company on 2-3 review sites and hope they lose business.

Comments (5)