SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gracy101

Am I getting ripped off in Miami?

gracy101
16 years ago

I am presently renovating two bathrooms. Both were gutted by the contractor who left all plumbing exposed. I have unanticipated plumbing work done.

Because previous owners had updated all the incoming water lines (up in the attic) to copper and appeared to have updated the two baths, we assumed the plumbing in the baths was also copper. Turns out it's galvanized. The previous owners tiled over tile throughout! So now in the guest bath, a plumber has had to change the incoming water lines to copper for sink and toilet, but not shower as it already had copper coming in (can't explain that one). Nothing had to be moved or redirected. He charged me $300 for that one.

In my boys bath we took out an existing tub and will be putting in a walk in shower 3 feet to the left along the same wall. Existing drain has to be moved and incoming water lines have to be moved and changed to copper pipe. The sink/toilet water lines are being changed to copper as well left in the same place. He is charging me $1,100 dollars for that. Iam FREAKING because I assumed (again, I know!) that based on the $300 for the other bathroom the most it could be was about $750-800. None of this was in my budget and it's killing me.

I'm just sick about this and I have no frame of reference and do not have any other plumber. Does this sound right?

Any input is appreciated as I have to call him tomorrow - I am presently out of town. When he told me over the phone the cost, I couldn't even talk!

Comments (3)