SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
secondguessing

I'm needing help with DH

secondguessing
14 years ago

I'm a complete emotional wreck today. DH has been in a bad mood since the beginning of November. It's been from one thing to another. We are remodeling the farmhouse he grew up in. Thankfully, we don't have to live in it. We own our home and we don't have a morgage on it. I shouldn't be surprised that this project would be stressfull on him. When things are out of his control he stresses himself out and he's hard to live with. First of all I knew saying goodbye to home would be hard on him. Secondly, money is huge with him. And lastly he has fibromyalgia. The whole combination is taking it's tole. Last night we had a huge fight. He brought up everything from past even when we were first married 25 years ago. As some people say everything including the kitchen sink.

We are doing the gutting of what we plan to fix up in the house on our own and we have a contractor working on putting things back together for us. He started Thanksgiving weekend and he is currently working on beefing up the support in the basement.

Now DH is completely stressed out about finances. "How much is this going to cost, how are we going to afford it, will be have to be paying for it for the rest of our lives." He totally regrets tearing out the old 1960's fireplace his mother wanted. I asked him twice about removing it before he started taking it down. He said part of his soul went with it. To put it simply he's scared. He's fifty and now I hear "I'm not going to live forever!" "I really think this was a huge mistake." Well, last night he learned that I didn't have the $2000.00 he thought I had put away. I tried to explain to him that I needed to use the money for my car repairs, the new set of tires I needed before winter and I also used it to help our college son with repairing his broken down old car and helping him out this his insurance. DH didn't hear a thing I said.

I actually find fixing up the old house fun. I like the work and I'm excited about what the end result will be, that is if he will ever agree on a design for the kitchen. I don't even mind the plaster dust along with the mouse poop. The old house is 105 years old this year.

I've tried talking to him and telling him to take one day at a time and don't loose sight that we do have our house to help offset the cost. His fibromyalgia is so flared up it hurts just watching him move. I've run hot baths for him and the night before last I spent 2 hours massaging his painful joints. He was feeling a lot better yesterday. And, then it all fell apart last night.

What am I to do?

Comments (9)