SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harleysilo

Redesign of Pantry /laundry room

harleysilo
15 years ago

We are converting our current pantry into a 1/2 bath and losing that space.

We have a standard small laundry closet with a 5' opening. We want to put a set of stackable washer and dryer in there and use half of the space as our new pantry.

I have a couple options

Couple of options:

Making 2 separate Closets

Design an access panel (or two in the bottom/and half ways up) in the back of the pantry for reaching through the wall to hook up the gas connection /electric and vent after itÂs in the closet. The pantry would have to be empty with no shelves when you used the access panels.

Keep it the current size

Build a large removable shelf that goes in to half of the closet for the pantry. The shelf could have sides, it would be heavy.

Another idea would be to install a solid wood door in the middle of the current laundry room it would function as the left side of the panty. Shelves could be build that go from it to the right wall. When somebody needs to install or remove the washer dryer, you empty the pantry, remove the shelves and then "open" the door. The door could be held in place by some of the vertical locks like the front door hasÂ..

The wife wants be to turn that space into 2 closets with separate doors. My concern is how do you hook up the washer and dryer in such a small space, i.e. if you can't get around the sides and I'm not sure one could crawl up on top of the stacked unit then reach down to the floor with my 7' long arms to hook up the vent/water/gas/electric. I see most restrict flex gas lines to 3'.

Comment (1)