SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annachosaknj6b

Suggestions needed for 'open look' wall

annachosaknj6b
13 years ago

The old kitchen is demolished and I'm in full TKO madness planning the new one.

The new kitchen will be bumped out 3' to be approximately 16'x16'. Along one wall will be the range, with a 12" pullout, DW and sink on either side (this will be a kosher kitchen which explains what may look like a whackadoodle layout to some, but it makes sense for us).

The new back wall will be a sliding French door to a deck, surrounded by fixed French windows and then double-hung windows over the counter areas--essentially a wall of glass to let in lots of light.

The wall opposite the range wall will have two equally sized counter runs, one with a three-sided glass china cabinet sitting on the end and the other with wall ovens; these two items will flank the DR entry. Yes, I know the wall ovens are a bit far from the main prep area. It's the best I can do and it works to have an oven which can double as a warming drawer close to the DR, so I'm happy with it.

The wall oven counter will be perpendicular to the area which houses the fridge and a pantry area to either side. (The odd corner is a chimney we have to work around.)

In the middle will be a 7.5'x4' island with tons of storage but no sink, just a flat expense of prep area. The side facing the range will have drawers and on the opposite side there will be 12" deep cabinets storing nondaily items under another 12" overhang for seating

Most of my design decisions are made, but I'm wrestling with what to do with the wall that the range is on. I really LOVE the open look--either shelving or maybe a plate rack like the one below. I don't want to put cabinets on either side of the hood as I want to maintain the open look, but am having a hard time deciding exactly what to put there. One end will have the window and the other will be open. I thought about adding a wall there but nixed it since I don't want to lose the space and to keep the rather cavelike stair/downstairs foyer area more open.

We should have enough storage space that I can sacrifice cabinets there, but what to put instead? The hood will most likely be a plain boxed hood with an insert liner, painted the same color as the walls and with a shelf at the bottom painted to match the cabinets. I was thinking of having the shelf wrap around and continue to the ends (obviously leaving enough space for the window to operate) and having lights put in under them, � la Sochi's beautiful kitchen. OTOH, I saw a plate rack I love and am considering having one made to hang over each sink to store the dishes we use on pretty much an everyday basis.

Below is the architect's drawing of the kitchen plan. (Ignore where it says BAKE; he forgot to take that out, and the oval dotted line over the island represents a pot rack which I may or may not put up; my other major design dilemma).

Ideas? Suggestions? Pictures?

Comments (15)