SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeowner2011a

Would this bother you enough to make a stink about it?

newhomeowner2011a
12 years ago

Hi,

We have recently added a 2-story addition to our home. In our contract, the baseboards of the new rooms are to "match existing." We have 6" baseboards that are rounded at the top (vs. square) and noticed when we were painting the add-on that they used boards that were squared on the top. Note that the new space includes a 5-foot addition of one room and 2 walls in the master that now have squared baseboards in the new space and rounded baseboards in the old space. There is a new bedroom that all has squared baseboards and they still have yet to do the powder/mudroom/master bathroom baseboards.

I was told they can use a tool to round the edges now but it will require them to hand-do the corners since the tool can't get in the corners. They will also have to prime it again and we'll have to repaint.

Does anyone know about a cap we can have them put on top of the boards that would cover the square vs. rounded edges and might be an easier alternative (plus add height to the baseboards which I'd actually love...)?

What would you do if your contractor did this? Would you have him round the edges in the boards that are already now in place, just have him do it in the rooms that are left to do OR have him cap all the rooms that have it mixed (and new) so they are at least the same???

Thanks for your insight - I'm frustrated b/c I feel like he was hoping we wouldn't catch it and took the easy route out (not doing the extra leg work to smooth the squared edges) - he has 30 years of construction experience so I was thinking this was something that since it is in our contract that they would "match existing" that he would make sure it does w/o us having to oversee and "catch."

Thoughts/suggestions???

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths