SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenswrens

New addition to house - Did you live there during reno?

jenswrens
14 years ago

We're in the planning stages of either a large 2-story addition or a complete knock-down and new build. There are many factors to consider, obviously, but one is where we would live in the meantime if we do a tear-down.

The addition we're planning is quite large and extensive and involves two entire exterior walls. I think it may be less expensive to just start over with a new build, but DH says maybe not when you factor in the cost of our having to rent someplace for a year or more while we build. And yes, we're going to hire an architect whom we will ask all these questions, but right now I'm interested in your experiences.

So, if you put on a large addition to your home, did you live there during the reno? Was it comfortable or miserable? Pros, cons, advice? Would you do it again? When we did a whole-house interior remodel of our MN house, we lived in a hotel for 6 months and it was nice, but then, insurance was paying for it. I can't imagine what it would have been like if we had had to live in the midst of that. Will you please share your experiences?

TIA!

Comments (16)