SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_43940283

How can we make room for our new addition in our small house?

User
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi everyone! Well, this is a bit unexpected but exciting! We are expecting a little addition to our family :) I just found out so we have a while but since this came earlier than we planned I need to figure out how to rearrange the rooms in our house.

We have 3 bedrooms and an unfinished basement. The original plan was to wait a few years and during that time finish the basement into an additional room that would be my husband's office/den. He doesn't work from home that much but it's very important to him to have his own space to game on his computer and to hang out with his friends if I'm asleep or doing something separately. That would free up one of the bedrooms to be a nursery and still be able to keep our guest room. We often have guests staying overnight so we really would like to keep the guest room option.

What should we do? I don't know if we should rush the basement renovation to try and get it done before the baby arrives. I'm not sure if I want to deal with construction going on while pregnant and while we do have the money right now it would have been more comfortable to save up a separate fund over the next couple of years.

Our master is quite large, 12x20 so we could definitely fit all the nursery essentials in there but that feels like a temporary solution, since I read baby should have their own room after the first few months. I really don't want to combine the nursery in with guest or office rooms because I want the baby to have a quiet restful place to sleep. The 10x10 guest room would make the perfect nursery so I'm wondering if we should just get a nice sleeper sofa for the living room and give up the guest room. The child will obviously need its own bedroom as it gets older anyway so this is definitely the more sustainable solution. Then we can do the basement renovation when we're ready and reclaim the 3rd bedroom as a guest room.

Upsizing is NOT an option any time soon as we just bought this house in August!

WWYD houzzers?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths