SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheri127_gw

Door wrong size..how to deal with contractor. (long)

cheri127
15 years ago

At my insistence the GC finally installed the mudroom door last week (had been living open to the elements for 3 weeks). While DH was scrutinizing it from a distance; he thought it looked a little crooked, I noticed it looked small. I measured it and sure enough it was only 31".

I got out the architects plans and they called for a 3'7" door (too wide I think). Then I looked at the GC's contract and it clearly said 2'8" door. Now I had had several discussions with both the architect and GC that I wanted a 36" door.

I mentioned the dilemma to GC and he claims it's according to his plans, a standard 2-8 door. I said "No, it's 31" to which he replied "It's a standard 2-8. I finally said that whatever it is, it needs to be removed and replaced with the proper door. Unfortunately drywall was just installed.

I called Marvin to inquire about the measurements on a standard 2-8 door and they assured me it was 32". They said a 31" door would be a special order and usually was used to fill an existing doorway, not a new one like we had. The suspect part of this is that we had originally ordered a smaller door to replace our existing kitchen door, but then decided to add the mudroom and put a bigger door out there. Coincidentally, the measurements of the installed 31" door fit into the space of the door we were originally going to replace, exactly. So now I think we have the old bait and switch and the GC installed the door he originally ordered for the kitchen (after charging me a $950 restocking fee.

We have many other issues but the door is a pretty important one. I don't think I should have to pay for it as it's not the size I wanted nor is it the size listed in the contract. However, I get the feeling he's going to dig his heals in on this. Any advice? Do I have a leg to stand on?

In addition to all this, I've paid the architect over $1500 in site visit fees to check his work, particularly measurements and they missed this too. What the heck!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!