SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pugetsoundjj

dealing with difficult contractor

PugetSoundjj
10 years ago

I have totally had it with my contractor and have been for some time. We are doing a major kitchen remodel and no work has basically been done for the past 5 1/2 weeks. Both my husband and our architect (who suggested the contractor) have been loathe to deal with him so I have been addressing issues with him. Now he tells me that I am a bully for bringing things up more than once and that it is not productive. He is pretty young - early thirties - and acts very immature and unprofessional.

He has been working on texturing and priming (he refuses to paint so we are going to do it ourselves) for a total of just a couple of hours every week, but since he keeps missing spots or something goes wrong this just keeps going on and on. The fact that he only shows up a couple of hours a week to deal with it is really dragging it out.

The new floors are installed, the glass brick wall is in (somehow they missed centering it on the wall), the fireplace tile has been laid with flaws in it, the new 15' double sliding glass door has been installed but one of the parts is all cut up, so there is plenty to do if he would just show up.

We started this project 10 weeks ago and he was supposed to be done last week. He still has to install all the cabinets, countertops, backsplash, electrical and all the appliances. There is no clause in the contract for penalties is he does not finish on time.

We still owe him about a third of the bid cost but he still has about 2/3 of the work left to do.

Everyday he says he is coming and then he does not show. We were supposed to have a meeting today but now has postponed it until Friday. I am not sure if this is some kind of stalling tactic or if he is just stringing us along and plans to bail at this point.

We would lose a lot of money if we fired him now and would have an even longer wait to finish up our kitchen as he is custom building our cabinets and we would have to order them from somewhere else.

Should we fire him anyway, or are there any tips on how to get our needs better met - that he finishes quickly and does a quality job?

Comments (15)