SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sabine_h

Contractor/designer dispute- who is wrong here?

S Hill
6 years ago

Hello all! I am looking for some insight from anyone with a design and construction background.

Can someone clarify the roles/duties of a designer and a general contractor ? From my understanding the designer formulates the plan- the design, layout, selects materials etc. Then the general contractor is responsible for implementing the plan. He is responsible for making sure his crew gets the job done and that the designers vision comes to life.

I am involved in a situation in which the general contractor (who has only showed up 3 times during construction) got upset that the designer was not more involved in making sure his crew did their job. He took the job as a favor to a mutual friend of the home owner (it was a small gig compared to his typical ) . He said in the beginning that he would not be there " every day" , which was fine, but it was expected he would be there more than 3 times total. Now, it is towards the end, he has been fully paid but the house is not finished (big mistake I know) . When the home owner finally reached him and gave him the list of what still needs to be done ( fix a door that won't open/shut properly, grout that needs to be resealed, tile that needs to be finished, repair damage that occurred during appliance installation, crooked outlets, etc) he became very angry and said that if the designer had done her job, he would not have to deal with this. I guess because he was not making that much money on the job he expected the designer to manage the crew. This was not made clear in the beginning. Now it is just a mess, everyone is pointing the finger, the designer is furious and says the contractor is using her as a scapegoat...Who is wrong here?

Comments (31)