SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
la_koala

Any device to meet 2-jack stud req't with 1-jack?

la_koala
13 years ago

OK, I'll lead with the question and whoever wants the gory details can read further. :-)

Question: If the table in the residential code says a wooden header needs two jack studs, is there any device to use that meets code and have only one jack stud?

From what I've read in this forum, there are "header hangers" that could be used for some situations. But are those only for reducing the need from one jack stud to no jack studs?

What about using another header material (like LVL) vs a wooden header?

Thanks in advance for any educational information about this!

Note: I'm 'just' the homeowner, and I'm not planning on doing any of the construction myself. I plan to hire a GC for the work, and would hire a structural engineer to review the final plan if you think one is necessary here.

My goal of asking this is to prepare myself for the 'worst' case of where the windows will likely end up positioned in the wall, so I don't fall in love with some other idea before encountering the reality in the field after the demo. :-)

Here are the gory details:

- Nice view is directly opposite the back left corner of the house. (Kitchen)

- House has full basement, three full floors, and then the attic space (under the peaked roof) above the 3rd floor. Wood construction.

- The house is basically a rectangle with peaked roof (roof line runs parallel to the street) with central staircase. Two rooms on every floor on either side of the staircase.

- In the kitchen, there are two double-hung windows (glass size approx. 30" wide). They are each symmetrically about 45 inches from the corner: one in the side wall and the other in the back wall.

Picture the corner of the room, then a blank space of wall going horizontally about 45 inches from the corner, then a double-hung window--in both the side wall and rear wall.

Now, I'm going to have the kitchen remodeled anyway--gut remodel, new electric, plumbing, layout, whole enchilada.

My thought is to replace each of those double-hung windows with factory mulled two-double-hung combination windows.

But I also want to have as much daylight opening as possible (to see the view).

So, my ideal "picture of success" would be to get both of those combo units as close into the corner post as the Building Code and physical reality allow. And have as wide a window unit as possible. :-)

Imagining a 68 inch rough opening then, to have one jack stud on each side, that's a 71.5 inch header, right?

(to span the jack stud on each side; 71.5 inches is almost 6 feet).

If I look at the code for here (MA), the current one seems to be based on whatever is before IRC 2009. (I say that because the one that's in public hearing now is based on IRC 2009). Current MA residential code is 7th Edition (link below).

The relevant table seems to be on p. 601:

780 CMR TABLE 5502.5(1)

GIRDER SPANS AND HEADER SPANS FOR EXTERIOR BEARING WALLS

(Maximum spans for Douglas fir-larch, hem-fir, southern pine and spruce-pine-fir and required number of jack studs)

Reading this table, it seems to be:

- For a span of 6 feet and ground floor snow load of 50 psf, and a 28 width house, this header is in "2 jack stud land".

Hence my question: is there any device (hanger or LVL header or something) that would not require 2 jack studs on the side of the window unit at the corner of the house?

That would allow the window frame jamb to be as close to the corner post as possible--at most one jack stud?

I know I've glossed over things in the table like the center-bearing floor/clear span floor: all of the relevant rows in the table seem to be pointing to at least a 2-jack stud situation regardless.

You who made it thus far, thanks for reading all of this!

Here is a link that might be useful: MA 7th Edition One and Two-Family Dwellings

Comments (15)