SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lostinit

Bathroom Exhaust Ducts Disconnected in Attic

lostinit
14 years ago

Recently I made a trip up to my attic to measure for buying Flooring for storage when to my dismay I saw that both bathroom ducts were laying on top of the loose insulation and I noticed what appeared to be black spots on the interior roof inside the attic. I didn't venture throughout the attic but am now worried. We have had the house for one year and in that year we have been using the exhaust fans in our bathrooms. Unfortunately, since the inspection of the home I never thought to go up there. This was a remodeled home with a new roof (etc). Now when I go up I find this and I can only surmise that this has been that way for sometime since the mold spots are already black. I was able to tape up one of the ducts to the vent but I could barely get duct tape around it because the hole was small and also because there were rusted nails from the roof sticking through near the tight opening. Anyway I have two questions, first is what is recommended for clamping these ducts to the damper vents on the roof? Should I use some kind of zip tie or metal clamp with a screw? I couldn't reach the main duct as it was a ways into the attic and there was no flooring for me to get over there. The second question I had was regarding the mold, am I in deep trouble? Will I have to rip out the new 30 year roof and replace? Will insurance cover this? What is my recourse here? BTW the ducts were attached to the vents by duct tape. Thanks

Comments (5)