SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xuexchong

Two bathrooms need exhaust fans

First home
5 years ago

folks

100 year old house with slates that often leak so time for a new shingles roof. I also have two bathrooms in the 2nd floor right below the attic. Looking from the attic, the distance between the light fixtures in each bathroom are about 18 feet apart. I want to get exhaust fans installed as in the winter time in NYC, all the bathroom smells and moisture come into the bedroom and smog up the windows. Since I'm getting a new roof, I can choose to install a single fan in the attic that connects to both bathrooms like this https://www.familyhandyman.com/bathroom/exhaust-fan/use-an-in-line-fan-to-vent-two-bathrooms/view-all/

Or if the more reliable way is to vent out each exhaust fan in the bathroom to the attic individually, I can have the roofer create two exit points and connect using smooth walled duct. I do get a 20 year labor warranty with the roof so if there are any leaks, he will come and fix them

Secondly, there is quite a bit of debate for the humidity-sensing exhaust fans vs ones you turn on/off with the switch. I personally favor the humidity-sensing ones but also don't want them to go on automatically if it's a 90% humidity day and raining outside

Thx

Comments (6)