SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrewm1_gw

Chimney crown re-mortar bid - overcharged?

andrewm1
10 years ago

I got a bid from a local roofing company for the following repair on a 2000sf torch-down roof:

1) Power wash entire chimney.
2) Apply 1 scratch coat of mortar on chimney crown as needed between bricks.
3) Allow to dry and apply two coat of brick sealer.
4) Check entire roof and install torch down patches by chimney and lower skylight as needed.
5) Remove all equipment and debris promptly.

The estimate is for $750 before tax. I assumed the repair would take a good amount of time and the fee justifies the time spent.

The actual work took no more than 2 hours on site: about 1 hour of work by 2 people to power-wash and re-mortar the chimney, and apply two small (palm-sized) patches in a couple spots on roof. And about 30-45 min total of one guy coming out twice to reapply water sealant liquid to chimney (basically hand-spray it from a large jug).

I am wondering if the cost is reasonable for the work???

It basically adds up to about $350/hr for two guys for 1 hour, and $350 for less than 1 hour for one guy. The supplies were just the equipment they typically use and some mortar...

As a comparison, a few months earlier I had another person (also a contractor, but with smaller business) come out and spend about 7 hours changing the flashing on the chimney, for a total of $350 (roughly $40/hr after including some supplies).

To me, the comparison of the work suggests the mortar job was overbid by about 100% of what it reasonably might cost.

One additional issue is that the water that was already under the torch-down material was NOT dried as part of the repair, and continued to cause condensation on the ceiling sheetrock...

I am wondering what your thoughts are before I try to press the issue.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County