SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hobokenkitchen

Budget Issues - Please help us make some tough decisions.

hobokenkitchen
12 years ago

We are sitting going through our budget and are feeling uncomfortably tight on it.

It looks like we can save some cash by doing some wallpaper removal/ painting and stuff ourselves (which is nerve racking as we don't really know what we are doing), but a big area we could make savings is in our kitchen appliances. :' (

This kitchen is going to be large and it's in a big house (hence our budget being stretched so thin). DH and I are having some disagreement over the range. He thinks that the larger kitchen 'needs' a 48" range, and I think that a 36" range would be sufficient.

We have already (almost) decided to switch from Wolf/ Subzero to Thermador which would save us close to $4000 (assuming we stick to a 48" range), but I think we could save approx another $3000 by changing the range from a 48" to a 36".

Is this a huge mistake for a big kitchen in a big house? We have a beautiful 36" in our current house and it's perfect.... but the kitchen is a fraction of the size of the new one.

We do not want to cut back on cabinetry so can't shave off there, but saving $6,000 - $7,000 on appliances (and still having great Thermador appliances) is a significant help to our budget.

We had a 48" range in a previous house and literally never used the second oven. So we don't NEED a 48", but neither do we want to affect resale.

So help us out - what are your thoughts on switching to Thermador and a 36" range to save $6,000 - $7,000 which would help us out financially?

A huge compromise? Really no big deal? A 36" Thermador is amazing and will add value to the house anyway?

Could really use some extra opinions please! : )

Comments (52)