SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artlover13060_gw

Do you like your sewing machine?

artlover13060
14 years ago

I hope this isn't too off topic.

I have a 42 year old Singer Touch and Sew that I just got out of the closet to make the valance I posted in another thread. I have lots of plans for making things for the house but I don't know if this machine is going to make it. It's skipping stitches and needs a tune up. I called a sewing machine center today and they want $70 just to check and clean it. I don't know if it's worth it and am considering a new machine. Nothing fancy just reliable.

What kind of machine do you have and would you recommend it?

Comments (44)

• mbarstow
    14 years ago

Scrap the machine and get yourself a new one. If you are planning on doing a lot of home decorating, it will be well worth it. I bought a new Singer about 4 years ago and paid around $300. I have made several sets of window treatments, and a few quilts. If you are in an area with yard sales, this is the time of year to pick up a decent one for around $40-$60. A friend did that for me the same week-end I bought the new one and I gave it to my niece. It worked just as well as my brand new Singer.

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    14 years ago

If you still have a manual (after 40 years!!! LOL) you can use it to find the spots to oil. Usually a machine that's been sitting unused just needs to be brushed clean of lint and oiled and then it'll work. I have lots of machines (home, commercial and industrial) and oiling/cleaning is the best maintenance.

I oil any moving metal part and there are holes in the machine bed and on various parts where you put several drops of oil. You may need to replace your belt too. If the machine hasn't been used in quite a long time the belt may have dry rot.

Try cleaning and oiling yourself before you give up on your machine. The old ones are often MUCH better than the new ones!

Also, this is simple, but try changing your needle. It may have burrs or be very dull - causing some of the trouble you're having!

• Related Discussions

what kind of sewing machine do you have?

Q

Comments (38)
    I have small children at home, so I cannot yet justify spending money on a fancy machine, but you can bet it's on my wish list, or my "some day" list. Lol* Right now I have several machines I use regularly...I recently purchased a featherweight and it's my favorite for straight piecing. It's also portable which is a plus, and really cute to look at. For sewing curves or anything a little more involved than piecing, I use a Simplicity Quilter's Classic, which was a very affordable machine, under $200, and it has a lot of features the more expensive machines have. My only gripe is the feed is kind of wimpy so I don't use it for anything other than quilting. If I have to do some heavy duty mending I use my featherweight or an old sturdy Singer I have in the house. My next step up would probably be to a Viking Husqvarna or a Baby Lock...although I think really, while a lot of people are devoted to their brands, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major brands. I just like those two because they are slightly more affordable upscale machines. :) Good luck! Loved reading everyone's posts here!
    ...See More

Love up your sewing machine

Q

Comments (11)
    Lint happens when you piece and when you machine quilt; it's just a fact of life when working with cotton. It comes from the thread, the fabric and the batting and you can't prevent it. That's why it's important to de-lint regularly. Back in the day when machines were simpler and home maintenance was the norm, it was recommended that you thoroughly clean and oil your machine every eight hours. For a busy seamstress that meant that she cleaned and oiled her machine every day! I find that I don't have to oil that often--a couple of times a month is more than adequate, but I have to delint at least once, if not twice a day. Because I use vintage or antique machines with no electronics, I do all my own maintenance and repairs, which by and large is really just keeping them cleaned and lubed.
    ...See More

QOTD: What type of oil do use to oil your sewing machine?

Q

Comments (3)
    Sandra, right off the bat - No to oil from the hardware store. Look in your sewing machine manual for oiling instructions. Not all machines require oil - others require alot. Your manual will also tell you exactly where to oil, how often, and what kind. You must follow the directions exactly! If you can't find the manual, look online, but do not oil it until you find out. This is important!
    ...See More

Do You Use an Old Singer Sewing Machine in Your Decor?

Q

Comments (33)
    I learned to sew on a Singer sewing Machine and remember quite vividly how my feet used to go like gangbusters on that thing. Here is what I have done with mine. We took off the top completely including the belt. Gave the iron base a fresh coat of black paint( looks great), and had a piece of lightly tinted tempered glass with slightly rounded corners( no sharpe edges) put on the top.The glass cutter gave us some small fancy flat fasteners to attach it to the base where the original screws held the top originally. I have it in our front foyer and use it as a table to put whatever seasonal decor I want. At Christmas time one of my larger Dept 56 Dickens Village pieces and accessories make a very nice entrance to the house.I hve also thought that a nice piece of marble on the top, would work well with the iron base perhaps in a kitchen.
    ...See More
  • artlover13060
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Downsy, thanks for the advice. I can probably find a manual online somewhere and may give that a try. One nice thing about this machine is that is has all metal working parts. It has served me well!

• oceanna
    14 years ago

A cheap New Home or Brother or something, and no. I LOVED my old Viking Huskevarna (sp?).

• igloochic
    14 years ago

LOL BS on that "old ones are better" stuff. My grandmother would kill for my sewing machine. My grandmother would have killed for my mothers new sewing machine...heck I killed my mother to get her sewing mach...umm nevermind (I"M KIDDING!!!! but only about the mother part).

I adore a few brands..Babylock (my choice because I have a small fortune invested in feet so I'm hooked...or footed LOL) (mine is an Ellageo). I helped mom pick out one and they had a fabulous deal on a Babylock at Costco...very cheap and it has oddles of functions, and is easy to use!

I also love Bernina and Viking, again, if you have one you'll want to choose a brand to invest in because the parts are interchangable.

My machine senses the change in fabrics and adjusts tension...a big deal to me. It also has millions of stitchs options and embroidery. I also find the brand to be quite reliable. I threw out my 20 year old Kenmore after a week of using a modern machine...they're beyond wonderful!!!

• hostalover67
    14 years ago

I have an old (25 years) Pfaff that I love! It's a workhorse--no bells and whistles, but a lot fewer things to go wrong, too... I personally would be afraid to ditch my old faithful for a new machine. Things just aren't made like they used to be...

When I lived in the area, I used to take my machine for tune-ups to a Mennonite shop in Lancaster Co., PA, for less than $20. They gave me the tip once to pick loose threads out of the bobbin thingey, and to weigh down the pedal and just let it run for 15-30 minutes with no thread or fabric to loosen it up and warm up the oiled parts. That is especially good if the machine's been sitting unused for weeks/months and seems "sluggish" when sewing. I don't know how it would work on the newer models, but works great for me...

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

I have a Husqvarna that's about 7 years old and I love it. DH bought it for me as a Valentine's Day gift. Some people questioned whether that was a romantic gift, but I assured them that it sure was ;o) The fact that he thought seriously about what I would like says it all.

• lottamoxie
    14 years ago

I have a Viking/Husqvarna 555 and it's a great machine. It's mostly been gathering dust the last 2 or 3 yrs as I haven't sewn much at all, but it's not fault of the machine! I've also been impressed with the Janome/New Home machines that have come out in the last 5 yrs or so.

• andee_gw
    14 years ago

I too have a 45-year old Touch and Sew. It's a very good machine and there is no reason to get rid of it. If there is still a problem after you oil, lubricate, and change needles, then $70 is well-spent on having a pro look at it. Last Christmas, mine finally broke a gear and so needed to be replaced. The repair shop replaced the gear and did a total tune-up and adjustment too. I think it runs better than when I bought it new in 1964.

Check out the sewing forum. There was a recent thread on Touch and Sew and they often discuss machines.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

Bernina lover here. I used to spend inordinate amounts of time quilting. life will change ya. But I still have my Bernina and my Mom's Bernina a 1230 I think it was top of the line when she got it. Mine was not but after 20 some years it is still great.
    Oh I also love my 2 Featherweights they are so fun to use.
    I also have my Moms Bernina serger 5 thread I think but have never used it- no clue. Guess I better look online for a manual.
    FYI if you oil your machine yourself- be very sparing with the oil. my old sewing machine guy fussed with all of the oil I had put in the little holes and told me not to do that again.

• artlover13060
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Andee - thanks for the tip about the thread on the sewing forum. After reading I was able to find the manual on line and am going to try a DIY clean, oil, and lube. I know everything breaks eventually, but I was told years ago that one great thing about this machine is that it has all metal working parts.

• lindat
    14 years ago

Get a new one. That sounds so flippant (sp). I have not a Viking H. for about 33 years-liked it. But it did not do heavy fabrics well. Mending jeans for sewing upholstery fabric was a chore. I'd had my machine in for service a few years ago, the dealer offered to trade me with cash for a newer model, but i just didn't want to spend the $$
    For Christmas my DH took me into the city to a sewing dealer. They were having a 1/2 sale on 08 machines. I got a Pfaff for $500. woW is it wonderful!!. I did not realize how tired my V.H. was until I used the new one.

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    14 years ago

It is interesting how folks fall into two camps -- those that love their old metal-parted work horses vs. those that love their new machines with all the bells and whistles.

I use my '60s Singer I found on the curb since all I need is straight- and zig-zag stitch, although if money (and storage space) were no object I'd like to try one of the new machines. But I fear that my heart would soon be broken as appliances are simply not made to last anymore. Think how long today's refrigerators last, maybe 10 years tops, compared to the ones from the '60s, then they are more stuff off to fill the landfills.

Are the new machines dependable? Will Vikings still last for decades???

-Lena

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Another lover of the old machines. I had my grandmother's Singer and used it for years. (LOL, she wished she had it back after buying her fancy-shcmancy new machine.) Granted, I don't sew alot, home dec projects here and there. I want a very basic, dependable machine. I don't like all the fancy extras, something I won't use.

My old singer finally bit the dust though and I have a newer, basic model for a few years. Not alot of use, but no problems.

tina

• lovetorenovate
    14 years ago

i have a new babylock that also does embroidery. i had a 40 year old husqavarna. i really do like the babylock better- but with all the computerized functions - wonder how many years I'll get out of it. it's 6 years old now and still working fiine - but in 40 years I'm sure I'll be on to a different machine.

• threedgrad
    14 years ago

ok, which new ones would you recommend? Which ones do automatic monogramming and zippers and buttonholes? What is the price range one would expect to pay? Thanks.

• themommy1
    14 years ago

I love my new Singer. Igloochick has Babys on the brain. The Singer That was at Costco Singer made the model just for them. You can get parts at Singer if you should ever need them . I have gotten extra Bobbons. I can enjoy sewing again with it and even get the thread in the needle with little trouble. and you just need to click to a number for any of the 66 stichs. You can even sew with out the foot peddle.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

I'll GIVE my newer Brother POS to anyone who wants to torture an enemy with a crappy sewing machine that drops stitches and won't sew anything reliably that isn't mid-weight woven cotton.

I replaced it about 2 years ago with a 35-40 year old Viking workhorse (6000 series) I bought on eBay for under $100. That old Viking can transition from 4 layers of faux-ostrich + piping to silk charmeuse in the blink of an eye without skipping a stitch. I LOVE that machine!

I don't remember the whole saga, but remember speaking to the older man who repairs sewing machines at the local repair shop, and he was the one who suggested that particular model when I told him I wanted a "workhorse" machine and didn't give a flip about computerized fancy stitches. He said that series was one many schools used in their Home Ec. programs and that they just couldn't kill them.

Mom's ancient Bernina was another workhorse. I'd have snapped it up in a second, except it was Mom who gave me the Brother POS.

(And for anyone wondering, 'POS' is not the model number -- it's my 'quality rating')

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Another lover of the old machines. I had my grandmother's Singer and used it for years. (LOL, she wished she had it back after buying her fancy-shcmancy new machine.) Granted, I don't sew alot, home dec projects here and there. I want a very basic, dependable machine. I don't like all the fancy extras, something I won't use.

My old singer finally bit the dust though and I have a newer, basic model for a few years. Not alot of use, but no problems.

tina

• artlover13060
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Don't get me wrong, I would love a new machine, but for the few decor projects I will be making I would rather keep the old gal running and spend the money on furniture and accessories. That being said, I'm a firm believer and having the right tools for a job, so the minute this one gives me grief I will buy a new one.

Funny thing - yesterday the old gal was skipping stitches, today she's running like a dream. Maybe she just needed warming up.

Last night I was ready to buy a new machine TODAY and did some research on Consumer Reports. They give the Kenmore 15358 the best buy rating for non-computerized machines. It's on sale at Sears for $99. There were others that got better performance rating though. How much can you expect out of a $99 new machine?

• hilltop_gw
    14 years ago

I had/have a 30+ year old plain jane Singer that my Mom gave me when in college. A few years back it needed repairs well over $100 and so I went out & bought a Husqvarna that would do fancy stitches & embroidery. Big mistake. The Husqvarna sits on a shelf in the storage room. I ended up fixing the Singer & would much rather use the old machine. She's a beauty!

• jaybird
    14 years ago

When I was teaching home ec in 1970, the school bought "Stradivara" machines and I got a wonderful deal on one for myself! It has been running like a champ through kids clothes, my clothes, all home dec sewing, boys jeans, and now on to grandkid and great grand kid clothes. I also have a Singer purchased at Target of all places, that runs up a storm and has a great case that even passes airline security.(If I go to visit aforementioned kids, grandkids, I always have to take a sewing machine. I don't think they would let me in the door without it :^)

• powermuffin
    14 years ago

I bought a Viking/Husqvarna 555 a few years back and I love it. It is $2000, although I got it for half price at the end of a quilt show. It is a wonderful machine. I am a maniac seamstress and use it all the time for everything: quilts, apparel, home dec, art projects.

If you want a good, overall machine and one that also does embroidery, you can expect to pay > $2000, more like $4000 - 6000 depending upon what you want it to do.

I would pay the $70 and have your current machine tuned up and then see if you really need to spend big bucks. I still believe that that old (metal) machines were some of the best workhorses. In my opinion, new, cheap machines are not worth the time it takes to learn to use them.
    Diane

• PRO
    14 years ago

Artlover - I'm glad your machine is working better for you today! Just keep her oiled and brushed free of lint and threads (especially in the bobbin area) and hopefully you'll be able to keep from buying another sewing machine to do your projects.

I have a 20 yr old New Home by Janome with all metal parts and I have worked that thing to death. I hardly use her anymore because my sewing is specialized (draperies)and I have industrial machines that do specific things and are fast workhorses.

But that New Home is what I grab when I want a pretty satin stitch on an applique or I need to do a button hole for a shower curtain.

My sewing machine mechanic sold me the New Home and praised the machines with metal parts because of their longevity. I rarely have to call him in to service my machines because I'm diligent about oiling and cleaning them.

I'm on another forum specific to my industry and alot of people in my business rave over the old Bernina's (920 or 930 or something like that.) They keep a constant eye on Ebay to snatch them up.

Good luck with your projects!

• artlover13060
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Downsy, I used to manage a store that sold supplies for French Machine Sewing and English smocking. We sold Bernina's and I sewed on one regularly. They were a dream. I still managed to do all the fancy stitching on my old Touch and Sew. It's been years since DD wore these, though. (sigh)

• organic_rach
    14 years ago

I teach quilting classes. I have a mechanical Bernina (named Bernice) that I love and a Pfaff (named Fanny...Pfanny) that is alot of plastic but can do things that my lovely Bernice can't do...the Pfaff has a built-in walking foot...so my fabric feeds through evenly from the top and the bottom. Fanny (Pfaff) can do fancy stitches that Bernice (Bernina) can't. Bernice (mechanical Bernina) is good for nice, even stitches, dependability and ease of sewing. I bought a walking foot for Bernice (Bernina) so I wouldn't show any favortism! If I had a choice of only one machine, it would be the mechanical Bernice (Bernina). Easy to oil, easy to clean and easy to thread. The other Berninas are not as easy or as solid. They have a few problems to work out still. If you buy a Bernina, buy a Bernina brand walking foot for it. Buy good thread, change your needles after eight hours of sewing, keep it oiled where your manual directs, and take off the needle plate and brush out the feed dogs. Most sewers don't do this and come to my classes with a beautiful machine that needs a new needle that is the correct size for their thread and project, or a clogged up feed dog that needs brushed out. Sewing is so fun when your machine works beautifully. I would buy both of my machines again.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

TheMommy is my mommy :) I did think that thing was a babylock LOL But she's right, we're kind of baby focused right now :)

It is a fabulous machine. Since we picked it up at Costco I've watched for another and haven't seen one unfortunately. It's a great machine, basic, but offers some of the special extra's of a new machine, especially the lack of tension issues :) Tension in a machine means tension in a sewer!

Threegrad, my babylock ellure (paid 999 for it) is now going for five to six hundred and worth every penny. it's a combo embroidery/sewing and it's fab!!!

Mom....get the crib out...we're coming your way :oP

• lkplatow
    14 years ago

Igloo or TheMommy (welconme Igloo's mommy!),

Do you know the model number? Costco has several singers on their website - I was wondering if one of them was the one you had? Thanks!

• eandhl
    14 years ago

artlover13060, several years ago I was going to get rid of my Singer touch & sew but a repair person said DON't! She said my machine had all metal parts and to keep it. I have a relative that makes her living sewing, drapes, slip covers etc. and will only use old singers. (older than yours or mine but she also said if mine had all the metal parts, keep it.)

• kitchendetective
    14 years ago

Well, I've got that Bernina Record, too. I like to make pillow/cushion covers with zippers and with lip cord trim and need the best foot for getting close to the trim. The cording foot the Bernina kiosk came up with is way too small. Can somebody here give me a link, source, etc.? Pretty please? (I'm desperate as the boat will be ready for its throw pillows soon. I've battled my way through four of them and I can't take it anymore.)

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    14 years ago

Everyone talks about their machine as a her or she. (Me too!)

Do men who sew think of their machines as male?

Just wondering, Lena

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Older is better for me, too. I sew quite a bit, things like quilts, drapes, tablecloths, pillows, duvets, bed skirts and upholstery projects. My cherished Bernina Minimatic, which is at least 35 years old, handles it all with ease. I've never had to take it in for repair, and it's been easy to care for. For the type of work I do, this machine is ideal.

• organic_rach
    14 years ago

Kitchendetective, I use my zipper foot for trims and set the needle over to the side as far as possible. I struggle with big cording, etc. getting my seam close enough to the cord too. Bernina has a good website that might help you a little. The local Bernina dealer, if you have one, might help too, if you take your machine and project in. It should be free help because they will sell you a new foot and different thread or needles, possibly. It's also good PR for them.

One other suggestion: If your trim is not in straight pieces, on the surface of the pillows, for example, drop your feed dogs, put on a darning or free-motion quilting foot and try free motion sewing the trim.You will want to practice first on a scrap of the same fabric with extra trim to get your "rhythmn" so the stitches are about the same length. Put stabilizer, like newsprint (no ink tho) or medical table paper (yep, the stuff you get to sit on at the doctor's office) under everything next to the feed dogs. That might help, too.

• themommy1
    14 years ago

1kplatow, I just checked for you, and the model # is 4166
    It even has a speed control, set it so you can't push hard and go to fast.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

I was just going to call mom :) She beat me to it.

Smooches mom :)

• kitchendetective
    14 years ago

rach--Thanks. I copied your response and am taking it with me to the Bernina kiosk. The real shop that was closest closed a couple of years ago, so I have to venture further afield. The zipper foot solution doesn't get me close enough, alas.

• gldnfan
    14 years ago

16 yo New Home here - I have not taken good care of it and it continues to perform really well. I tested it for upholstery fabric before buying since I do mostly home decor sewing.

Reading this thread I think the poor thing deserves a good cleaning and oil job!

• nicole__
    14 years ago

I sew a LOT!!! My old Kenmore constantly needed the needle realigned, cost...$80! So I gave it away and purchased a Bernina 165 artista. Problem is...when I sew thru thick denim seams the uneven hump makes the machine shut down. I took in into a repair shop, he says that's the way it's set up. So I went to Walmart and purchased a Brother electronic machine for $130, just for mending. It bends the needles! I'm not happy with either!!!!

• nan_nc
    14 years ago

I have an old pre-WWII model singer treadle which I use when I feel nostalgic. When I was in HS I made petticoats to go under poodle skirts with it..and made pretty good money. Also made most of my own clothes.

I also have a Necchi Elna which is about 40 years old. It works beaufully, but does not handle heavy fabrics well. Tension problems..it won't climb over the seams. I don't do much sewing anymore, but the maintenance man told me to keep it..it's all metal and made to last.

• artlover13060
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nan - I had a Singer treadle when I was a child. It was my grandmother's. I kept it in my playhouse and made curtains for my little house, and blankets for my dolls. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I had forgotten all about that treadle machine.

The younger ladies here must think we're ancient to remember sewing without electricity. LOL

• momto4boys
    14 years ago

I can't thread a needle. Yet, sitting in our storage are 3 Brother industrial sewing machines. With the big, ol' tables. A serger, I think it's called?? Button hole something or other. And I know there's something I'm forgetting about.
    In-laws had a sewing business, and dumped these on us. We've been meaning to sell them for YEARS and have never gotten around to it. Reading stuff about oil, etc. I'm sure they're a nightmare by now, just sitting there.

• PRO
    14 years ago

Momto4boys - you should try to sell them on ebay. Old brother industrials are fantastic machines. The serger would be a great machine for anyone in the sewing business. I have 2 older industrials and they were built to last. Somebody would probably buy your machines!!!

• irishdancersgram
    14 years ago

I have 3 old Kenmores, the oldest was bought in 1957 and the other 2 are slightly newer....I wouldn't have anything else....I am a quilter and I've looked into getting a newer machine but could not justify spending big bucks on plastic that wouldn't do any more than my machines do now....The only thing I have to do was replace the motor in the oldest one and keep them cleaned and oiled...They all purr like kittens with warm milk......

• momto4boys
    14 years ago

downsy, oh I know. I've even thought about Craigslist. I just never get around to it. It's crazy, I know. Two of them still have price tags on them. 3k and 4k. And are only about 8 yrs old. Even to get a few hundred bucks would at least clear them out of storage, and make room for more junk.