SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodenzoo

January-February Applique Block Lotto

woodenzoo
14 years ago

Here's how it works...

You may enter from 1 to 3 blocks. For each block you send, your name will be entered once.

Please put your blocks, along with a slip of paper with your real name, address, and FORUM name, inside a plastic baggie.

Please include one dollar to cover postage for sending on to the winner.

(For non U.S. members, please include a fat quarter and I will cover your dollar for postage in exchange.)

Please use 100% QUILTING cotton and please, fur, smoke and scent free.

We ask that everyone only send their best efforts! We are not looking for perfection, but please take your time, have fun and send only the quality that you would like to receive.

Use any method of applique you wish, but all edges must be stitched down either by hand or machine. No fusible only applique accepted.

You will have 2 months to work on your blocks.

Blocks need to reach me no later than FEBRUARY 28TH to be entered.

The January-February winner will be drawn on March 1st.

This month lets do a Primitive Tulip block with a solid white or white on white background with any dark/medium colored tulip. For example, if you choose a blue flower, you will use a dark and a medium blue. On the pattern page, they have you adding a green print triangle to the four corners, but I think we should leave them off so that the winner can add the same print to all the blocks if she'd like to add any at all. Or if the majority would prefer them, then we will add them.

Also, please add your name to the map (http://woodenzooquilts.blogspot.com/) if you haven't already, and if your name is drawn, I'll send a fat quarter along with the blocks. Thanks!

Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Primitive Tulip

Comments (40)

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello
    I will sign up for 1 for now but well see what happens I may do more.
    thanks I rilly like this one
    michelle

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

I'll do one but maybe more. I love applique and this one is simple (she says who hasn't tried it yet!).

• Related Discussions

February 2011 Block Lotto

Q

Comments (38)
    Ok, ready for a drum roll? All traveling blocks arrived over the weekend, so we have 15 blocks here, with 3 entries not in the drawing. I'm abstaining from entry, so I get to pick the winner, whoo-hoo! Just glad it's not a contest, I'd make a terrible judge, I like all the blocks! So, the name out of the hat to win the Anvil blocks is........................................................................polardream!!!! What a colorful quilt these blocks will make! And your month for choosing a block will be August, with choice and photo or sample to me by July 1, please. OR if you prefer to not choose, just let me know! Congratulations, polardream! Kay Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of Anvil Blocks
    ...See More

LOTTO - February 2012

Q

Comments (90)
    Thank you, Kate! What a great job you are doing to revitalize this forum. It had gotten a little slow. I plan to make a quilt (queen size) for my brother and his wife. He doesn't have any from me yet. And yes, I will share pictures of the finished product! Thank all of you for the congrats! Tamie
    ...See More

January Block Lotto Sign-ups

Q

Comments (44)
    Never mind! I spoke too soon! I gave it a try tonight and was able to fix one of the blocks easily. I'll only be sending 2 but I'll get them sent off tomorrow. If they don't get to Cathy by the 31st, then they still shouldn't count for the drawing, but at least she'll be able to send them along with all the other blocks because I'm positive they'll be there by the 1st or 2nd. Kate
    ...See More

January Block Lotto Sign Ups

Q

Comments (32)
    1. Patti60 - 2(Received) 2. Solstice98 - 3(Received) 3. Magothyrivergirl - (Received) 4. Quiltpartner - 3(Received) 5. Woodenzoo - 1(here) 6. Kay_in_pa - 3(Received) Magothyrivergirl, guess what? Your lovely blocks arrived yesterday afternoon! Thanks! All blocks have been received and we still have just over a week before the drawing! Good luck ladies! Cathy
    ...See More
  • mayme
    14 years ago

are you using the templates the size they print out on the computer?
    Thanks, Mayme

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Micyrey
    Toolgranny
    Mayme
    Woodenzoo

I'm just penciling everyone in for now.

Mayme, I see now that you pointed it out, that it doesn't print out with a scale to make sure it's the correct size, but yes, if everyone's copy prints out to the same size, that's the size we'll use. Template A prints out 7/8" X about 4 + 7/8" for me. If anyones measurement is different, please let me know and we will try to fix it.
    Thanks!
    Cathy

• Nancy Morris
    14 years ago

I like this block, too. I will try for at least one. These will be nice to remind us of the coming spring.
    Nancy

• cindykg23
    14 years ago

Cathy-

Count me in for 2 - the block looks like a great one to help us all 'think spring' :)!!

~Cindy

• lola99
    14 years ago

Do you want the green to be solid, or just read as solid? What about slightly marbled green?

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Micyrey
    Toolgranny
    Mayme
    Woodenzoo
    Stitches
    Quiltpartner

Good to have you all aboard!
    Thanks!
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lola, we must of been posting at the same time.

A tone on tone or marbled green will be fine.
    I'd like to stay away from green prints, but if that's all some one has, that'll be okay too.
    Thanks!
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Still time to join in!
    I haven't even chosen fabrics yet.
    One or two birthday blocks and then I'll get started on this.
    Cathy

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

There were postings this morning that later disappeared. So, you may have more who won't know you didn't see their post. Can't remember who that was but they might recognize themselves and re-post.

I have three blocks for you, almost done. I'm not usually ahead of things like this but it gave me something to sit and do while I was pondering my next piecing project.

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello
    these were so much fun, that as usual I started and could not stop till I was finnished.
    I ended up making 3 all diffrent, and this time Itried machene appliquet, and it came out great.
    sorry about the typing it is wtill very early
    I'll get these out to you soon
    michelle

• easystitches
    14 years ago

I need a hand project to work on at my small group.
    Can I still join?
    It's so pretty, reminds me of spring too.
    If so I need your addy Cathy, Thanks, Jill

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

May I make a suggestion? I can see from trimming the completed blocks that it would be easy for us to each have a slightly different center since there isn't an exact number called out in the design. I "eyeballed" the center which the flower then covered but I'm afraid to trim these up.

Would it be okay if we just leave all that excess and send the 14" or so block and let the winner trim each to the exact measurement all at one time so they match? I know Michelle's might already be trimmed but then the winner could trim to hers and they'd match.

Just a thought - comments before I cut mine up I hope.

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

I think that is a very good idea toolgranny. I left one of my rooster appliques larger (previous Lotto) for that very reason, as I felt it gave the winner some flexibility.

I know I haven't signed up yet - it all depends on my schedule, so I hope its okay to voice my opinion :)

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Micyrey - 3
    Toolgranny - 3
    Mayme
    Woodenzoo
    Stitches
    Quiltpartner
    Lola99
    Easystitches

Jill, e-mail is on the way.

Toolgranny, that's a great idea. Thanks for pointing that out.

Magothyrivergirl, just give me a shout and I'll add you to the list! ;)

Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Micyrey - 3
    Toolgranny - 3(Received)
    Mayme
    Woodenzoo
    Stitches
    Quiltpartner
    Lola99
    Easystitches

Linda, your wonderful flowers arrived today! Just beautiful!

I need to get busy on this! I put the pattern page on my cutting board and that's as far as I've gotten! LOL
    Cathy

• Nancy Morris
    14 years ago

I got three blocks done and will send them Monday.
    Nancy

• tdsully
    14 years ago

I haven't signed up yet. I have a question about the size of the templates. How do I know what size they print out as? When I did the tea cups I didn't realize mine weren't the right size until I won and compared mine to everyone elses. Tara

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tara,
    We noticed that it doesn't print out with a size guide (or whatever it's called).
    Make sure that your printer is set to print at actual size (No scaling or shrink to fit).
    Use your ruler to measure Template A (the stem). It should measure 7/8" X about 4 + 7/8".
    If it doesn't you will need to enlarge or reduce as needed.
    If you have any problems, let us know and we'll do what we can to help.
    Cathy

• tdsully
    14 years ago

Okay, that is what mine printed out as. Thanks. I'll try doing two. Tara

• User
    14 years ago

I'll sign up for one now & then we'll see if I have time to do more.
    Kay

• User
    14 years ago

I printed out the template, but have a problem. Template A measures the appropriate 7/8" across, but it's 4-5/8" long, not 4-7/8". If I adjust for the length, it'll mess up the width. Any ideas?

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Micyrey - 3
    Toolgranny - 3(Received)
    Mayme
    Woodenzoo
    Stitches
    Quiltpartner
    Lola99
    Easystitches
    Tdsully
    Kay_in_pa

Kay,
    What you can do is make the stem a bit longer, say about 5 1/4" long and place it about a quarter inch from the
    bottom edge of the background fabric. Some of the stem goes beneath the flower and so doesn't even show.

Just to be sure though, Template B (leaf) measures 4" from widest two points and 2&1/16" from top to bottom.
    If your templates are within at least 1/8", I think it will be fine unless someone else knows of something that I'm overlooking...
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Micyrey - 3
    Toolgranny - 3(Received)
    Mayme
    Woodenzoo
    Stitches
    Quiltpartner - 2(Received)
    Lola99
    Easystitches
    Tdsully
    Kay_in_pa

Cindy, your lovely blocks arrived Saturday.âº
    Thanks!
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Micyrey - 3
    Toolgranny - 3(Received)
    Mayme
    Woodenzoo
    Stitches - 3(Received)
    Lola99
    Easystitches
    Tdsully
    Kay_in_pa

Nancy, your wonderful blocks arrived today!
    Thanks!
    Cathy

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello
    mine will be on the way next week, they have been done for a wile but I just didn't get them moving.
    I rilly love this one
    michelle

• tdsully
    14 years ago

Hi, I mailed mine on Tuesday. Should be arriving soon. Tara

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Micyrey - 3
    Toolgranny - 3(Received)
    Mayme
    Woodenzoo
    Stitches
    Lola99
    Easystitches
    Tdsully - 2 (Received)
    Kay_in_pa

Tara, your pretty blocks arrived yesterday. Thanks so much for the pretty card too. :)

Michelle, I'll be watching for your package. ;)

I'm hoping to finish my block this weekend.
    Cathy

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

I have my fabrics selected for this, please add my name to the list. I'll let you know how many I get finished.
    Thanks

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Micyrey - 3
    Toolgranny - 3(Received)
    Mayme
    Woodenzoo - 1 (Here)
    Stitches - 3(Received)
    Lola99
    Easystitches
    Tdsully - 2(Received)
    Kay_in_pa
    Magothyrivergirl

Good to have you aboard Marsha!

And I did finish my block yesterday.
    Cathy

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Micyrey - 3(Received)
    Toolgranny - 3(Received)
    Mayme
    Woodenzoo - 1 (Here)
    Stitches - 3(Received)
    Lola99
    Easystitches
    Tdsully - 2(Received)
    Kay_in_pa
    Magothyrivergirl

Michelle, your pretty blocks arrived yesterday.
    Thanks!
    Cathy

• User
    14 years ago

We finally dug out, so block is on its way to the post office today.

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Micyrey - 3(Received)
    Toolgranny - 3(Received)
    Mayme
    Woodenzoo - 1 (Here)
    Stitches - 3(Received)
    Lola99
    Easystitches
    Tdsully - 2(Received)
    Kay_in_pa - 1(Received)
    Magothyrivergirl

Kay, your pretty block is here!

All the flowers that have arrived are just gorgeous!
    Going to make a wonderful quilt!
    Cathy

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

I am not able to send blocks for this Lotto - I am sorry:-(
    Our massive snowfall and blizzards affected my work schedule as well as my spare time. I even took a machine applique class - I was looking forward to making another applique using different thread. Sorry again....

• easystitches
    14 years ago

My block has been done a while....but, I've procrastinated
    & just got it in the mail today Cathy! Sorry.

• lola99
    14 years ago

Cathy,

I finished 3 blocks. I just sent you an email to get your address. I'll mail them tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Lola

• lola99
    14 years ago

Okay I just sent 3 blocks by Priority mail. They should be there by Saturday!

Thanks,
    Lola

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Micyrey - 3(Received)
    Toolgranny - 3(Received)
    Mayme
    Woodenzoo - 1 (Here)
    Stitches - 3(Received)
    Lola99 - 3(Received)
    Easystitches - 1(Received)
    Tdsully - 2(Received)
    Kay_in_pa - 1(Received)

Jill and Lola, your wonderful blocks arrived today.
    Marsha, hope that you aren't in that storm that's just sitting there on the east coast. You've had more than your fair share of snow already!
    Cathy

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Thanks for the concern and understanding Cathy. We have been spared accumulating snow right where we live, but the wind is ferocious and bitter. We moved the generator where we can get to it in case we need it for the frig and heat- we lose power if Mother Nature sneezes. It has been a bad, horrible winter for us, lots of damage and business loss in the area, so I am looking forward to spring.

This was a fun looking block and it will make a nice project for the winner. Good luck everyone!