SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redss_gw

How to protect myself from liability when hiring

redss
14 years ago

I'm going to be hiring 1 or 2 carpenters (hourly) to help me to some framing high on a ladder.

With the slow construction market these days, there is a lot of cheap help available but many are not licenced, bonded, & insured.

I would appreciate input on my concerns below:

I'm not that worried about them being licensed in the respect that I already know exactly how I want the work done and will be there to see that they do it the way I want.

I'm not that worried about them being bonded because I won't be paying them upfront or leaving them alone in my house where they could rob me.

I'm not that worried about them being insured in the respect that I'm willing to accept the risk that they may damage something on the house, and there is not much that can be damaged.

However, I'm really worried about liability insurance because if they fall off a ladder I don't want them to sue me and take my house.

What is the best way for me to protect myself? Is it enough to know that they have personal medical insurance? (also feel free to refute any of my reasonings).

Comments (8)