SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bulletin51

Best practice advice when hiring residential contractors?

Oxonian .
7 years ago

Hello friends,

I hope everyone is doing well. As you know, me and my family members are first time home owners.

We are in the Houston, TX area.

We purchased a lived in home, with some land, and moved in to it a couple of months ago.

As it is an older home, and also, it does have some land, there is work to be done on it.

I wanted your help in learning the correct protocol to deal with contractors, especially , individual contractos, i.e. those who do not belong to a company.

We recently put out an ad for some outdoor electrical work, and had an individual come over. As a security precaution, the neighborhood asks for ID (this is not an HOA, but a small ranch type community) of contractors, if the resident wishes to share it for their security.

So, we asked that contractor for his ID, and he told us that he did not have a valid drivers license, but had a passport from his county, and had been here for 30 years plus, he was undocumented. So, he sent us a copy of his passport from his country in South America.

Furthermore, he was not a fully licensed electrician, so, I was also concerned about that, before awarding him the job.

He came over, and gave us a quote, and was extremely pushy through text over the next few days, asking us to make a decision, because his wife was pregnant, he needed the money, he had another job far away which he would go to if he did not get this job.

I told him I needed time to decide, especially as I was sourcing the hardware, and needed to check on permits etc.

Recently, a couple of days ago, he contacts me and gets aggressive saying that he is the best electrician in town, that if anyone else would do the job it would lead to an electric fault, that I should have got the equipment by now, that he spend time and gas to make the site visit to give the quote.

Furthermore, he said I have a copy of his passport, and that he would report me to the authorities if someone misused his passport? He told me that in the past someone tried to get a visa using his passport, etc.

He is of a completely different ethnicity than I am. Night and day difference.

I informed him that I have no use of his passport details, and that I do not wish to award him the job. Furthermore, I told him that we never agreed on any contract, and that he could have charged a trip fee if he was concerned about the cost of gasoline and time, without a secure job in hand.

Given this, we want to be more careful and respectful in dealing with further contractor bids, and hope we can get some help from you.

1) Is it ok to ask an individual contractor, e.g. someone who contacts us via an online site such as Craigslist, for a copy of their id?

2) If they make a site visit, and do not ask for a fee for time and expense, are we obligated to favor them for the job in any way?

3) How does one politely decline a bid, without angering the contractor, especially if there has not been any agreement of any form.

4) How important is it for the contractor to be insured? I know this is not a smart question, but often many sole operators do not carry insurance

We want to be ethical and safe, so any help you can provide, will go a long way.

Thank you so much, your help is much appreciated.
Oxonian

Comments (13)