SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tuxedord2

When to hire a GC or KD?

tuxedord2
10 years ago

I always feel like my questions are a bit ridiculous but the fact is I really just don't know. Call me a real new newbie. I am planning to give my kitchen a face lift and also the adjoining great room. The cabinets can be refinished with just a few minor modifications and trim added et cetera but basic layout of kitchen will be the same. Need new sink, counters, recessed lighting, appliances (all except fridge), new downdraft system more than likely, new paint for both rooms. Need kitchen and great room to coordinate.

I've been collecting info. and photos and samples. Have a general idea of what i want but am finding it hard to commit to things and to know what order to manage this re-do. Had thought I could organize it all myself since its not a total renovation. But...

Had a GC estimate that seemed very high and he wanted to do things that I just didn't want to do. Even said he would not do the job if we didn't make some major structural changes because it was in his opinion necessary (for 33, 000!!). Had just a cabinet guy estimate that seemed more reasonable and was willing to do what I wanted and make the more minor modifications.

Could a KD act as a GC sometimes? Thinking I just need someone to hold my hand a bit more.
Should I get estimates from more GC's or a KD or just keep researching and figure this out?

Comments (23)