SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
malsranch

Installing Header on Load Bearing Wall in Ranch House

malsranch
10 years ago

first time poster, and i'm ready to be ripped a new one for asking about this project!

short story: we are ready to hire someone to do this for us, but we also want to explore how easy some of our options are. there's a lot i don't understand.

long story: want to knock down a wall between the kitchen and l.room in a 1967 ranch house. wall is a load bearing wall. sits directly over the basement beam. house is 28' wide. wall section we are removing is a little over 10'.

we are installing an island in the newly opened space.

all contractors suggest a special ordered LVL beam. estimate about 5k for the job. our concerns are both cost and depth of header, as we have low enough ceilings already. i know that you can recess the beam into the ceiling, but that seems even more costly.

to save money, we were considering installing a column/post at the end of the island, so that the header span would be about 6' to the column, and then 4' after.

consulting a headerspan table, it seems like we could construct a header out of three 2x8 for up to 6'3" in this house.

questions:

would constructing a header out of 2x8 be significantly cheaper than a custom LVL beam?

could the column be constructed out of 2x4 (like jack studs) or would it have to be something else?

would the structural integrity of using a 6' + 4' span, with a column, be at least as good as a 10' lvl beam?

thanks in advance!

Comments (14)