SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Help visualizing some changes

rosefolly
15 years ago

We did a major remodel about nine years ago. We are very pleased with most of the changes and all of the structural improvements, but are now going back to tweak some things. Some of the changes are things our architect advised that we really didn't like such as recessed can lights, others are simply new ideas we've had since that time.

One thing we need help on is the exterior. We have a painted board and batten redwood exterior. This was the original exterior of the house, and it is the vernacular style of our area, tough not much used these days. We really liked keeping in touch with the historical roots but it is a maintenance nightmare. The brilliant sun just cooks the paint. My DH is constantly touching up the trim and sills.

So we have decided to go with stucco and synthetic stone trim. I have been inspired by a famous house called The Homestead designed by C.F.A. Voysey, part of the English Arts and Crafts movement, though I'm not doing exactly what he did. He used stucco with (genuine) stone quoins around the windows. We are considering stucco with synthetic stone quoins around the windows but also quoins outlining exterior corners. Since our house has an irregular outline with more than four corners, I'm concerned that this may be just a bit too much.

Here is my question. Is there an easy-to-use software that would allow me to enter pictures of my house and see how it would look with various exterior finishes? I think our idea will look beautiful. I'll be devastated if it ends up looking gaudy and overdone. Being able to have a preview will make it possible for me to assess realistically just what it would look like.

Comment (1)