SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jen28_gw

Repairing lathe and plaster

jen28
17 years ago

Hi,

I did a search and couldn't find exactly what I needed so here's my situation: My DH and I have a 1930 house that still has mostly lathe and plaster walls. Someone in the recent past redid the plaster and finished all the walls with very professional texturing. Unfortunately when we rewired we had to cut rather large holes through the lathe and plaster, leaving only the studs. The majority of the walls are intact - there are some holes about 12" square and some that run the length of the wall just above the baseboards. We were going to drywall the sections we cut out and plaster over them but we are not practiced painters and are afraid we won't be able to match the texture. We don't want to redo the whole wall, I was wondering if we can't match the texture if we could add another thin coat of plaster to the whole wall (over the existing paint) or if we have to sand off the texture completely (I imagine that will be a messy nightmare). If anyone has done this before please let me know what you did and the time, effort, and mess involved.

Thanks,

Jennfier

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths