SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missouri1_gw

Repairing or replacing lathe and plaster walls

missouri1
15 years ago

I am buying a house that needs signifigant repair. One of the issues will be walls. Some of the lathe and plaster has been removed already but most of the upstairs has it still and the bottom floor has a lot of the exterior walls remaining. Problem is that there are some large holes in the lathe and plaster walls. Holes through into the wall space, maybe 2 to 3 feet wide. The last owner was planning on ripping it all out and also removed a wall that we will be rebuilding because I happen to prefer the rooms instead of a big open space. It's a good sized house with each of the two floors measuring about 1440 sq feet.

Now my questions are is it practical to repair the holes and keep what lath and plaster I can in the bottom floor? There is a lot of gorgeous dark wood trim around the windows, doors and floor and I really don't want to have to tear that all off and replace it after sheetrocking but my husband would rather take it all out and sheetrock the bottom at least. Then the other thing I am wondering is am I going to (if I can talk him into keeping the lathe and plaster) be able to mix the two mediums on the bottom floor without it looking bad.

I wish I had gotten ahold of it before it was in the state it is now but that didn't happen so I might be there forever just repairing lol. That's fine by me though because I LOVE to tinker and fix things.

We have broken windows too and just a mess of things that will need to be done.

The house is a perfect size with an awesome lot and with a LOT of work it has potential I think.

Comments (7)