SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cas66ragtop

Tired of incompetence

cas66ragtop
12 years ago

OK - we are finally getting near the end and I just have a couple more gripes. The whole house selling ordeal always opens my eyes to just how incompetent a lot of "professionals" are.

Our last snag we hit was our well water test failed because they found too high of a level of coliform bacteria. I never asked to see the lab results, I simply trusted my realtor when she said it failed. I had to pay $260 to have the well bleached and get a new test performed. The whole time I was worried something was dreadfully wrong and I would be expected to pay thousands of dollars for some kind of water treatment system if the bleaching didn't work. Thankfully the second test passed, and I quickly got the lab results.

The second lab results showed "less than 1/100ml coliform" and "less than 1/100ml ecoli". Seeing these results got me curious as to what the first test showed. I got the original lab results, which were performed by a different lab. The first results just said "coliform present" with no level shown, and they said "ecoli not present". So......it got me thinking, just because coliform was present, how was that automatically a failure? I am sure we all ingest a certain level of bacteria every day, and its not like we are all in danger. I also wondered how ecoli was not present on the first test, but after bleaching it was less than 1/100ml (technically present) on the second test. Basically, I feel I got suckered into bleaching the system and paying for a new test when the first one was probably acceptable all along. My fault for not asking to see the results of the first test before agreeing to pay for additional treatment. But again, here I am trusting the "professionals". I'm not blaming the realtors here - but I do find fault with the labs for results that sort of contradict each other, and neither one is very informative - and nobody seems to know what an "acceptable level" would have been.

Incompetency story #2 - the title attorney's assistant emailed my realtor to find some info about me. She sent the email at 1:45pm Friday. Realtor emailed me at 4:35pm Friday. I didn't get the email until 5:45pm when I got home from work. By this time, they are already gone, and now I have to wait until Monday to contact them. You would think people would realize you don't wait until late Friday to do this, especially during the holiday season. This could have been avoided if both of them would have called via telephone vs emails. Our closing is Friday the 16th - time is of the essence - who knows if me giving them the info they needed 4 days before closing instead of 6 days makes the difference in whether or not we can close. Probably not, but it still irked me nobody could pick up a phone. Then the lawyer's assistant, who I assume should have to be somewhat intelligent, sent the following text to my realtor: "I need there loan number and the lender's social". Haha - THERE! I hope she meant SELLER'S social.

Of course the home inspector also came up with some really ridiculous "issues", but we did very well there. The buyers got the house for such a good price, I told their realtor that the house is now "as is". They took me seriously, only asked for 3 repairs, and I only agreed to 1 (at the cost of $15) - so I guess that more than makes up for the other things.

OK.......I just wanted to complain some more. Thanks for letting me vent. I will be glad when all this is finally over.

Comments (15)