SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
devilsdue

Difficult Seller?

devilsdue
16 years ago

This forum has been such a great source of collective wisdom over our condo-searching process, I hope you folks can shed some light on the following (and sorry if it's a bit ranty and long.)

I'm a 1st-time buyer in Canada. Found a great downtown condo, new construction (occupation just summer 2007), open-concept, ~1100sqft, asking $428000 with *no* appliances or parking. Comps are around this range but WITH appliances/parking.

Seller (from out of town) is listed with one of the top agents in the city and holds at least 2 other units (on the market) mortgage-free in same building, presumably for investment purposes. She paid $372000 for this unit, which has been listed since July 2007, initially at $438000, and has had no offers.

I made an offer for $390000 last week with just inspection/atty review as contigencies (very standard around here.) It's a bit low-ball but I fully expected to counter up! I'm pre-approved, and put down the largest deposit suggested by my agent (who is not the seller's.)

Turns out seller left for Arruba without informing her own agent or leaving contact info! After ~2days, seller's agent was finally able to locate the seller's son who was to leave for Arruba and will bring the offer with him (no phone in Arruba??) 48hrs after son's supposed arrival in Arruba, still no answer and seller agent couldn't locate her client.

Today (6d after offer), seller says that she's in Arruba until Jan 6 and will not respond until *or* if then. No counter, but not outright dismissal either, just basically "don't bother me, I'm on vacation."

I think the seller is being a bit insincere, but I really really like the property!

Is this normal behaviour? What do you guys think is going on? What should our next step be?

Comments (12)