SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socalsister_gw

layout help - galley kitchen

socalsister
12 years ago

We currently have a galley kitchen that we intend to remodel but keep a similar layout. We are a family of four (2 teen boys, 13 and 15).

I've included the layout of the first floor. We are on a post tension slab so moving the water is not something we want to do. We currently have a gas cooktop but are switching to induction (we will move the gas line to the new cooktop location and cap it in case I change my mind--or a future owner wants gas).

The current kitchen has a m/w and oven stack that interferes with people sitting at kitchen table (person sitting at table has to get up to open oven door). I use the oven frequently so this is a major annoyance.

I am switching the pantry to the other side of the kitchen. It will have U shaped shelves, 12 inches deep. (My cab guy is very opposed to u shaped shelves with no drawers since he swaps this style out for most of his clients to a pantry cab above drawers. I need to see everything at once--will I regret this? My present pantry is 30 inches wide and deep--impossible to access.) I don't have a broom closet in the kitchen right now; I am putting in a tall narrow pullout with a pegboard next to the new oven location.

We are replacing the swing door to the dining room with a pocket door with opaque glass. DH does not want to lose the door to the dining room (I initially wanted a U kitchen but others on this board convinced me that a galley was the way to go). I've lived with this kitchen for 15 years, so I have to admit that it works. My concern is that the oven will be visible from the front door and the mess from the cooktop--thus the pocket door.

I am extending the depth of the cab runs on both sides 4.5 inches to gain both counter space and to reduce the expanse of isle between sink and stove. I have a raised bar on the sink side that I know is disliked by many people. For me it will serve two purposes: to block the sink from the front door and to provide an area for guests to chat with me without being in the kitchen. It stops shy of the end of the counter to provide a space to place serving dishes for the kitchen table. The kitchen table will seat 4 and will have banquette seating for 2 in front of the sliding glass door (not permanent--just a bench).

I want to swap the fridge and cooktop to make the fridge more accessible to the kitchen table (and family room) since we use that multiple times a day. I'm a little at a loss on the sink run (the peninsula). I have the DW on the left of the sink and an 18 inch bank of cabs to the left of the DW as well as an upper cab. A trash pull out is to the right of the sink with another bank of cabs to the right of that. I'm thinking that I will tend to prep on the right side of the sink, but I'm not sure if it will be enough room. Also, not sure where I will store dishes--next to the table or next to the DW? Don't really want the boys walking thru the cooking zone to set the table...

We have 9 ft ceilings and a 1 foot soffit that I hope to remove. The cabs will extend to the ceiling. I will have 30 inch counters with 15 inch deep uppers. In the elevation photos, a set of cabinet doors is on the counter under the microwave. The cab designer thought that the m/w would create a black hole between the fridge and pantry. The doors will sit a foot out from the wall--a sort of cubby for ugly stuff and to be less of a cavernous space under the microwave.

Appliances:

Refrigerator: FD CD Samsung or KA

Oven: GE Single Double (2 ovens in space of 1 oven)

Induction Cooktop: 30 inche Miele or LG (has bridge element)

DW: Miele or Blomberg

MW: 24x19 Sharp (not built in but on a shelf)

I'm not sure what other information would be helpful. I appreciate your input!

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen layout specs

Comments (6)